News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Of Aquaboys and clock noise

Started by maysink, July 29, 2010, 02:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maysink

So I got my mn3005 AB all done up and am on to the fiddling-with-trimpots phase. First off: with all trimmers set to noon (as per instructions) I got delay on the first try! Cool.

As currently calibrated, I only get clock noise with the mix @ max and delay from 75 - 100%. Am I always going to get some clock noise? Is that the nature of the non-scope calibrating beast? Or do I have my clock trimmer set too high? TIA

[nothing to see here]
-e

mjcyates

Great! On the V3205 version I was able to set the trimmers without a scope to a position where there was no clock noise. It did take a while.

maysink

Am I correct in noticing the BIAS trimmer has little effect on the barely-audible whine/clock-noise? Certainly, the bias trimmer has a working range but, after trying different clock settings against various bias settings, I don't think I'm hearing any bias impact on the high-pitch whine.

I know analog delays will always be noisier than digital delays--is this barely-audible high-pitch whine the 'noise' that people refer to? I always thought it was the decaying of the repeats.

It should be noted that I'm pretty sensitive to barely-audible high-pitch whines--cathode ray tube monitors & televisions can drive me up a wall! Maybe I'm just being too critical...
[nothing to see here]
-e

madbean

You should notice changes with the Bias trimpot. Cancel, however, not so much. It might be that you are setting your max delay times too long. But, if you are getting whine in any position, perhaps you either have a bad pot, or need to increase the value to say, 50kB. Before desoldering that trimpot, use your DMM to measure the pins and make sure you are getting changes in resistance as you turn the notch.

I've built both the MN3005 and several v3205s and was able to get acceptable noise levels without whine. And, I'm like you: I can "hear" a TV anywhere in the house even with the volume off!

maysink

Quote from: madbean on July 29, 2010, 05:34:48 PM
I can "hear" a TV anywhere in the house even with the volume off!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I hate that!!

I'll give it another go tomorrow--I suspect I'm trying to get too much delay time w/ the clock trimmer.
[nothing to see here]
-e

hoyager

Hi, sorry to hijack the thread, but do the trimpot sockets left free on the board, from moving them to the double delay board have to be jumpered or are they just left empty?

bias and cancel are empty on the aquaboy board and are now on the double delay board

cheers

maysink

Allright, let me clarify a bit. I can get the standing whine to go away but, when the repeats knob is >70%, I get a slight whine just 'underneath' each repeat. That make sense? I think this might be normal?
[nothing to see here]
-e

Albertcarrera

Hi there!

I'm from Spain, so I will provably do a lot of mistakes, I'm sorry.

I build this Analog delay this month. You can check this picture of it.

I used de Cool audio version of the BBD. Now I have a lot of problems with the "wine" sound, like you where talking about.

First, I've got an osciloscope (a very cheap DSO nano v2), but when I prove the pins 1 and 7 of the BBD ( with a sine of 200Hz in the input) I cant saw any wave, so I tried to set the trimmers by ear.

Now I have some delay effect, a little bit dirty, but it works. And I can't isolate the clock noise. With the cancel trimmer I can reduce a little bit the volume of the wine, but when I play some notes I cames back with the delay sound. Also, if I put a low delay time using the Clock trimmer the wine dosn't sound until I put the delay pot at long time.

I have to set the clock at minium possible?? Change the value of the Cancel trimmer??

You can hear in this demo that the wine enters at 1:40...

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/albert-carrera/prova-analog-delay[/soundcloud]

I will be very gratefull if somebody knows of to eliminate the wine noise!

Thank you too much!

madbean

Hi Albertcarrera,

Clock noise (whine) at max delay means you need to dial back your Clock trim. Set your delay pot fully clockwise. Turn the Clock trim counter-clockwise until the whine not audible. This will change your maximum delay amount so if you want a bit more delay, you may have to accept a little noise with it.

LaceSensor

I agree with teh Bean having built a few Aquapusses you can get rid of the clock noise with the max delay time trim pot (clock) and ensuring you have an accurate delay time potentiometer.

However, I actually liked a bit of the character of the longer delay times with a tad clock noise, seemed to be accurate to the vintage Way Huge Aqua pusses Ive heard demos of.

For the record I think the demo posted sounds really nice, bit of a dirt to the repeats but still very musical

Albertcarrera

Quote from: madbean on April 11, 2013, 12:30:41 PM
Hi Albertcarrera,

Clock noise (whine) at max delay means you need to dial back your Clock trim. Set your delay pot fully clockwise. Turn the Clock trim counter-clockwise until the whine not audible. This will change your maximum delay amount so if you want a bit more delay, you may have to accept a little noise with it.

Thanks Madbean,

I saw these instructions in your PDF, but I thought that the repeat time of mine was not normal. But I'm sorry for ask you for help before reading another time the calibration instructions. Now I have short delay repeats but no wine sound. Problem solved.

Quote from: LaceSensor on April 12, 2013, 08:03:57 AM
I agree with teh Bean having built a few Aquapusses you can get rid of the clock noise with the max delay time trim pot (clock) and ensuring you have an accurate delay time potentiometer.

However, I actually liked a bit of the character of the longer delay times with a tad clock noise, seemed to be accurate to the vintage Way Huge Aqua pusses Ive heard demos of.

For the record I think the demo posted sounds really nice, bit of a dirt to the repeats but still very musical

Hi LaceSensor

I also prefer a long repeat time, especially when I want the delay to "get full the sound" when I'm doing  the chords and the melodies at the same time.

But the wine sound bothers me a lot, so I will adjust the clock without wine. Its a pitty that I can't put more than 250ms aproximately of delay without wine, but when I do some recordings I don't like this sound on the background, I also can hear any TV on, and I hate this high frecuency sound.  

I'm thinking about putting the Clock ajust in a potenciometer format outside the box.

Greetings

Albertcarrera

Hi another time,

I've noticed that I was using a MN3101 with a V3205SD and that combination is not the perfect one. So I changed the MN3102 for a MN3102.

But I have a aquestion about the delay time. The Cool audio BBD can only provide 209ms of delay time (without clock noise), why the Aquapuss from Way Huge is able to provide 300ms?? They do a trick or something similar? In the demos froms youtube I can't hear any wine noise...

I think that this delay is better with the daugther board, then probably you can have 400ms of delay without any clock noise.

Greetings

atodovax

Please help. My aquaboy bleeds signal when bypassed and feedback y maxed. Ivetried every suggestion in the forum and it decreased a lot but the oscilation is still there blreeing. Any component swap sugesttions to reduce the noise to 0?