News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slow loris mosfet/Ge mod

Started by 9Lives, December 01, 2011, 02:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

Has anyone tried/ or know what the difference would be if I used 1 or 2 Ge diodes in the series with my mosfet(irf520) clippers? Right now I only have one Ge in there for an asym style. Curious what it would sound like with 2. Also I put the Ge in with the source. I did the right?? I hope.. Sounds a little crunchier than my proco with only mosfets.

madbean

Yep, the diode points toward the source. The purpose of using a germanium if to soften the clipping up. Mosfets don't have a terribly gentle turn on voltage when used this way, so the GE helps smooth out that transition.

Anyway, I would stick with what you have now. In my experience anything more actually starts to make it too mushy sounding. The nice thing about mosfet clippers is that they have a slightly more pronounced midrange than 1n914. They just sound better to my ears.

9Lives

I wrote this a while back and forgot about it. I actually ended up trying 2 abd it sounded horrible. I agree w you I put mosfets in everything. It gives it a strange fuzz sound reminds me of a robot lol. I just love it tho. Specially in rats.

the3secondrule

I just tried this on a rat that im building for a buddy of mine. basically i just copied the clipping section out of the serendipity, ie: 2n7000 mosfets w/ bat41 diodes (assym - 2 diodes on one side, 1 on the other).

I love it - tonnes more volume, and still plenty of crunch.'

worth checking out...
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"