News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Can I use Old Pedal parts!!!!!!!!!!

Started by PaxWorks, April 01, 2010, 02:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaxWorks

I have a Ibanez TS9 and VOX Valvetone that I don't use. I want to use them for parts. I also have a Studio V3 Tube Mp. Can I use any of these to build an actual peal, if so what? Could I maybe build a Zendrive 2 clone?

madbean

Don't know what's in the Vox, but you could probably mine the TS-9 for parts. A lot of cross-over betwen the Tube Screamer and a Zen Drive. Of course, you could easily sell them and buy quite a number of parts with it....and you won't have to take the time to desolder everything!

Haberdasher

I've got a couple of questions.  When mining for parts in pedals or old boards I've read that you have to be extremely careful not to overheat transistors and op amps.

Are diodes and resistors pretty sensitive too?
And do hemostats make a good heat sink or should I spend money on a clamp-on heat sink?

thanks
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

If you use good soldering methods you don't need a heatsink. Of course, it doesn't hurt, but it can be time consuming. There are two different methods to try, depending on what type of circuit board you are working with.

Manufactured boards are more difficult to remove parts from because they are generally plated through the holes, which means they soak up a lot of solder. And, if the build is pretty old, the solder will most likely have oxidized and become pretty cruddy. This means more heat to remelt and remove it. That increases the chance of burning a part up. In practice, I have never burnt a single part due to desoldering, but I've definitely ruined some pads. If you are not going to be re-using the circuit board, then that doesn't matter--you can pretty much destroy it getting the parts out.

Anyway, if you are working with that type of board, a desoldering pump might help. You can get them at radio Shack for less than $10. Basically, you just heat the top side of the pad and use the pump on the other side to vacuum up the solder while it's melting.

I usually use solder wick for desoldering because it is easy to work with. You first heat up the solder joint then apply the wick with the tip of your soldering iron. The solder will get soaked up onto the wick and clean the joint out. Sometimes you actually have to add a little solder to the joint first to get it flowing.

If you are careful, and take your time, you should be fine. Just remember to keep you iron on the joints for 10 seconds or less to prevent overheating the component. If you wait 15 seconds in-between then it wil cool off enough so you can hit it again with your wick until it's all gone.