News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590BB A/DA Flanger? Edit: And Final Phase?

Started by Scruffie, December 20, 2011, 03:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

Pretty well loved project, while the boards circulating already are cool... they are insanely large.

It'd be cool to have one in a giggable sized enclosure as it is an extremley versatile tool and having it with board mounted pots and odd/even switch would be a huge benefit to the old project (I realise the new boards were fitted for board mounted pots but the spacing was for an obscure pot type rather than the usual 16mm).

I'd love to have it be a through zero flanger as i've been dying for one but I realise that might be asking a bit much (asking for this project in the first place is a bit much!).

And it'd be nice to have the 3007/3207 jumper option on the board which the current boards do/did not offer.

A few minor changes i'd make as well, change the board pin out for the 2N3819 FET, this makes the Threshold control pretty useable as opposed to the J201 which didn't. I'd probably drop the expression control as well but that's probably just me.
Works at Lectric-FX

bigmufffuzzwizz

I of course second the request. Like he said, if it'd fit in a 1590BB I'd have to have one.
I have a crazy vero layout I was planning on doing someday, looked like a nice challenge.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

I think the magic of the ADA is in the ridiculously unavailable chips. If you're building one with the MN3007, I'd rather just use the M117 clone which is a through Zero flanger based on that chip (unless I'm mistaken).

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Scruffie

Quote from: jkokura on December 21, 2011, 07:37:41 PM
I think the magic of the ADA is in the ridiculously unavailable chips. If you're building one with the MN3007, I'd rather just use the M117 clone which is a through Zero flanger based on that chip (unless I'm mistaken).

Jacob
You are mistaken, the M-117 does not provide Through Zero Flanging, ya need 2 x BBDs to achieve it (or half and half a SAD1024... still technically 2).

I love the sound of the 117, but the A/DA can cop alot more sounds including more liquid/musical where as the 117 to me is more Jetty.

Basically... I want both  ;D and for either a Through Zero 117 or Through Zero A/DA because the sound actually annoys me when that Flange sweeps all the way up! Then just drops back down... however I do appreciate the place of both.

I don't think any of the Magic in the A/DA comes from the BBD at all, it comes from the clock circuitry which can drive a BBD extremley well, the Sweep Ratio, the Audio Path its self (not much filtering) the Threshold control which I think can be extremley useful when used as an effect, its LFO, it's a completely different beast to a 117.

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on December 21, 2011, 04:40:11 PM
I of course second the request. Like he said, if it'd fit in a 1590BB I'd have to have one.
I have a crazy vero layout I was planning on doing someday, looked like a nice challenge.
Yeah i've seen the vero layouts for this, pretty insane! I almost built one back when I did vero but I couldn't find a board big enough.
Works at Lectric-FX

jkokura

Thanks for the lesson Scruff, I appreciate it. You certainly know much more about BBD circuits than I do, so thanks.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Scruffie

Quote from: jkokura on December 22, 2011, 07:41:20 AM
Thanks for the lesson Scruff, I appreciate it. You certainly know much more about BBD circuits than I do, so thanks.

jacob
My pleasure, although I hope I didn't come off as a know it all (I did didn't I  :-\ appologies).

I certainly don't know everything about BBD effects but I definitley enjoy them and do my best to learn about them. I find the variety much more exciting than dirt which can get pretty samey after your 20th effect!
Works at Lectric-FX

Scruffie

Works at Lectric-FX

Scruffie

Just thought that there's no project for the A/DA Final Phase so thought i'd tack that on here!

Uses 2 x 4016 ICs for the phasing (6 stages) which is a bit of an odd one but a cheap part compared to OTAs or Optos.

Could be a cool build!
Works at Lectric-FX

DutchMF

Do you have the schematics? Maybe I can fire up Eagle if I have some time to spare.....

Paul

(No promises, just interested!)
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Scruffie

Yup, got 'em all... they're not small circuits though, think it'd have to be double sided for a 1590BB fit with all the board mounted pots and switches and onboard charge pumps etc.

Cheers though! If you want the schematics PM me.
Works at Lectric-FX

Scruffie

Works at Lectric-FX

Bret608

I'd love to see either of these get the Madbean treatment, but especially the flanger. I wonder if it might be worth dropping Brian a PM to see if it's on his radar?

RobA

I've just been youtubing the Final Phase and I'll give that one a absolutely. If no one else wants to do it, I will.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Bret608

Hey Rob,

I just checked out a few clips as well. To me it sounds as cool as the Polyphase. Although I'm a hair more excited about the flanger, it'd be awesome if you took this on! I'm sure the community would be grateful.

Cheers,

Bret

RobA

I haven't taken the time to check out the flanger yet. I'm kinda in a phase shifter mode right now because I'm working on a design for one myself. So, that got my interest first. I'm also guessing that any parts updating that will be needed will be more likely to be more straight forward on the phase shifter. I could easily be wrong there though.

Seems like a good test of the new OSH Park share feature too.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).