News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DirtBag mods for v3205 - Final Solution

Started by madbean, December 21, 2011, 02:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seiche

ah you didn't do the new mods, sorry about that.
hope it works out for you! :)

ramengo

jkokura

It doesn't look like it has the right kind of pin spacing. Better to go with Bourns.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

RonaldB

I have did the mods last week but they didn't come out as suspected.
I still have some distortion on my echos and i have to hit my strings very hard to get echos happening.
Also i here the LFO sweep in my echos.

So what could be done here?

RonaldB

EDIT: I found the problem bad solder joint. Works fine now.

Seiche

sounds like you made a mistake somewhere else.

edit: told ya :D finally got my board (christmas at usps). Can't wait to stuff it!

pietro_moog

eldanko

Guys - quick question:

I'm about to start a v3205 build, and would prefer to save myself as much debugging time as possible.  I socketed R21 and C14 in case I need to go that route.  My question:

Would it be better for me to build it based on the stock BOM and hope for the best, or just go straight to the changes in this thread?
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

madbean

I recommend doing the changes outlined here. It will produce a superior result. It's only a matter of some different values and one added component, so I think it will give you the least amount of headache.

Which reminds me I need to put this info in the doc, too.

At some point I'll break this one out again and tinker with it, but as is with the mods outlined here result in less distortion and a better sounding delay.

Vintageman

Congratulations for your work Brian.

I´ve finally made my dirtybag work. But I notice an issue. The signal that pass through (not the delayed), gets overdrived. The pedal works like a booster. I have to put the level pot at minimun (10%) to have a clean signal. I imagine that this is not usual.

All the rest works perfect, even the modulation. I built the stock version, but when finished, I discovered this thread and performed the (R62-R42-R17-R16....) mod, And I noticed the better sound of the delayed signal.  R11 and R12 are 47k, and R21 is 1k and c14 33nF as stock version.

My voltages at IC1 are:
pin1 - 4.53v
pin2 - 4.53v
pin3 - 4.30v
pin4 - 0v
pin5 - 4.12v
pin6 - 4.53v
pin7 - 4.53v
pin8 - 9.11v

I assume that the problem has to be in IC1, any idea?
thanks crew

madbean

That's the design of the DMM....it's the basic function of the Level pot to act as a boost when turned up. If you don't want all the boost you can lower the value of the pot. 250k or 500k audio would be good choices. Or, just leave it turned down.

Strategy

Yes, I can confirm my EHX DMM does exactly this. I've come to love the extra dirt and tone coloration though, I was sad when I could not get Memory Boy to do the same thing. My EHX DMM is always having gremlin type issues so I'm slowly building Dirtbag hopefully as a road worthy replacement and I can retire the original to studio use only

Strategy

Quote from: madbean on February 28, 2012, 02:06:33 AM
That's the design of the DMM....it's the basic function of the Level pot to act as a boost when turned up. If you don't want all the boost you can lower the value of the pot. 250k or 500k audio would be good choices. Or, just leave it turned down.

Vintageman

Ok, thankyou very much folks!!

I´ve changed my mind. I´m going to leave the effect as it is. As you said Brian, I only have to adjust the level pot to choose the sound I want. Thanks again, for your hard work developing and tuning this wonderful project.

I encourage everybody to perform the (R10,R17...) mod. No Fear. It´s a thick 2 sides PCB, but if you take a little care and work with no rush, for sure you´ll be succesfull.

madbean

It's actually a nice dirty boost. In the vintage version, it wasn't true bypass so you could use it to boost your clean signal, then kick in the delay when you wanted.

LaceSensor

Yo

Update. Got round to building up my replacement board, seems to work ok with the mods suggested.
I need to keep tweaking the Bias and Gain trims around, but its working for sure.

I did the blend mod too. Works as advertised.
Fun 4 hours of my evening that was.