News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Two Neutrino Qs

Started by Rockhorst, January 05, 2012, 11:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhorst

I'm in the process of building a (second) Neutrino, the Burst version. I was wondering the following things:

1. The documentation states that D1 and D3 represent two diodes, to implement asymmetric clipping without a jumper. What's the original intent for symmetric clipping: one or two diodes in each direction? (I know, in the end it's about taste, just wondering).

2. The burst uses a 500k level pot, while the black version uses a 100k (and different electrolytic caps in front of it). What difference does that make? Is it the same as with guitars? (higher value pots pass more highs)?

jkokura

For your first question, it depends on the version. I think Lovepedal used 1 diode a direction symmetrical clipping, or 2-1 asymmetrical from what I've seen. Ultimately, I don't find a huge difference between 2-2 and 1-1. There is a difference to be heard between 2-1 and 1-1/2-2 though.

On the second, I'm not sure if it makes a tone difference. Truthfully, the best way to find out is to breadboard the circuit and see for yourself! You could bread board each type and then use a couple wires to switch back and forth between each quickly and hear the difference for yourself.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Rockhorst

I just noticed this topic was accidentally started in the wrong section of the board. Could someone move it (to General Questions I guess).