News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Road rage heat? got burned by the IC :(

Started by add4, January 08, 2012, 07:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

add4

So i was playing around with the max1044 on breadboard. Basically i wanted to do a +9v -9v supply.
I breadboarded it, it worked, so i thought, hey, i'm going to test that charge pump thing that people use on the valve powered ODs and see if i can get 30-40 volts out of nine, and use my DMM to probe around and see if my understanding of the circuit work is good. Since everything was plugged in and powered, and i usually probe around and touch the pcbs without problems, even with power plugged it, i didn't bother to unpower the breadboard before making the changes.

So if i followed madbean road rage schematic : http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/RoadRage/docs/RoadRage.pdf. for the +9v -9v thing i had only : IC, D3, D4, C3, C4, C5 plugged in. To get the first stage of the charge pump made, I removed C5 and D4, and added C1. I was lowering my hand to push D1 in position into the breadboard while i felt heat from the circuit.
curious, i touched a few components, nothing, finally I touched the IC and i got burned as soon as i touched it.
so i immedialtely unpowered the breadboard. when i removed the IC, i saw that the plastic of the breadboard  melted from the ic heat..

I guess i did something wrong, but what is it? can somebody explain that to me? i'm a little bit afraid to try that charge pump thing again without knowing what to avoid .. i don't want to do anything dangerous.
Should the circuit be complete before it is plugged in? if yes, what are the 'blocks'? my guess is i should have at least put D1, D2 and C2 before plugging it in.
any advice?
thanks

Sigesmundninja

I Had that problem a couple months ago. I think it was a bad IC cause the road-rage was working fine after I swapped the chip.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2729.0

jkokura

If you ever change components on a board, remove the power from ye board first.

What chip are you using? If you are using an LT1054 did you solve the pin 1 issue?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

add4

Hey Jacob, thanks for helping with this.
i'm using ICL7660SCPA with pin 1 connected to +9v. Do you think the heat comes from the fact that the circuit was not complete?
the road rage uses the capacitors as buckets to generate the charge pump .. maybe there was an accumulation of voltage in not too good places or idk ..
Anyway, i'm a little bit afraid of trying again but i'll overcome that and start again with a complete, quadruple checked circuit.

add4

So i'm trying this again right now.. and it's working perfectly.
i now realize that i made a mistake with the schematic: i had C1 connected to the other side of C4.. might have caused the problem..getting 17.2 volts with all 1N4001 and no heat at all
thanks for helping.