News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Deadringer bass mods?

Started by the3secondrule, December 20, 2010, 02:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the3secondrule

Should be building my fancy new deadringer that I scored in the PIF (thanks Brian!  ;D) pretty soon. I feel that my Guitar overdrive needs are pretty much covered, but I'm still on the hunt for a good bass overdrive (I really dig my Faultline, but I'm using that for heavy, woolly tones).

Any suggestings for values to tweak to get the Deadringer really ripping on bass?

cheers,

J
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

madbean

Sure, here's an educated guess:

Increase C1 to 220n
Increase C6 to 220n and R4 to 10k
Increase C9 to 100n
C11 to 220n

The trick from there is C7 and C8. R9/C7 form a low pass filter that rolls off at around 720kHz. The tone control adds the highs back in as you turn it up. On bass, you might want to shift that frequency curve down some (or not). I would consider socketing C7/C8 and trying 330n there to see if you like it. That will push the roll-off to about 480kHz.

the3secondrule

Found som e good info on the bass fulldrive on FSB:

Apparently the difference is 2 cap values:
http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47&hilit=fulldrive&start=40

I'll give it a try

stecykmi

Quote from: madbean on December 20, 2010, 02:34:47 AM
The trick from there is C7 and C8. R9/C7 form a low pass filter that rolls off at around 720kHz. The tone control adds the highs back in as you turn it up. On bass, you might want to shift that frequency curve down some (or not). I would consider socketing C7/C8 and trying 330n there to see if you like it. That will push the roll-off to about 480kHz.

you probably mean 720Hz, and 480Hz, respectively.

madbean

Yep, that's what I meant  ;)

If you could hear 720kHz, well...that would be annoying.

the3secondrule

also, can i sub a 1n4001/2 for the 1n4005 - forgot to order one

jkokura

Maybe. Let us know if you can. I hear someone had bad results with a 1N4001 and then switched to whatever is actually called for and it solved the problem.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals