News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal project for kids?

Started by Willybomb, January 15, 2012, 03:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Great stuff, be sure to take some photos :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

billstein

I'm teaching a young 17 year old guitarist the same thing. I started with a meathead, a simple one knob fuzzbox. He was so excited when it fired up right away.

Now we're working on an orange squeezer. Maybe a tubescreamer next.

Other guitarist have seen the meathead now they want to learn to. It's been a lot of fun.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

pryde

I like this idea alot. I have had similar thoughts about a small pedal workshop (3-4 people) but for adults as that is my client-base.

I think the same rules would apply for the most part as this would be a workshop for absolute beginners in electronics so very simple circuit would be key. Thought about some sort of nice simple OD as that would appeal to many tastes/needs

what about the Egghead maybe?

atreidesheir

Quote from: pryde on June 27, 2013, 10:52:06 AM
I like this idea alot. I have had similar thoughts about a small pedal workshop (3-4 people) but for adults as that is my client-base.

I think the same rules would apply for the most part as this would be a workshop for absolute beginners in electronics so very simple circuit would be key. Thought about some sort of nice simple OD as that would appeal to many tastes/needs

what about the Egghead maybe?
+1.  this is exactly where my min went when I read the OP.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

alanp

Depends on the audience. If they dig dirty tweed, LaVache all the way.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Vallhagen

Quote from: Willybomb on January 16, 2012, 06:21:52 AM
  I don't know how many of you are teachers or have taught, but when starting out you can't make things simple enough. 

Word on that: "can't make things simple enough".

Aim for something with 1 knob and one transistor stage (some good suggestions earlier in the thread^^). I dont think your class will complete something like a tubescreamer in one day (unless they are unusually talented? but i read it as they are beginners at their young teens).

Fun project:) Good luck
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

atreidesheir

If teaching a group of kids, I might do it dead bug style for the first project.  bass fuzz or miniboost or something.

Willybomb

atreidesheir

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/deadbug/deadbug.htm
http://makezine.com/2012/10/08/a-fine-example-of-dead-bug-style-circuit-wiring/

Just lay the parts on cardboard and hotglue them, bend their legs up in the air (like dead bugs) and solder the parts together in the air. The simplest way to start I know.  No need for pcb, vero, tagboard, or anything. 

Manhattan style (almost the same thing) solder all connections to the board material for stability.

pedalman

years ago I sent money to a ad in the back of a guitar player mag. The build was for a 2 knob distortion pedal that doubled as a headphone amp. they sent me instructions and a BOM, all the parts were labeled
with radio shack part #'s and took a afternoon to build. this may be cool for the kids as some may not have a amp   ;D
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.