News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

AMZ Dual buffer

Started by 9Lives, January 21, 2012, 12:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

does any one know if this project is meant to be used as 2 separate channels or is it supposed to run both buffers in one buffer.. Or is it for both? This is the multi purpose IC board. It uses Dual OP amp (i chose tl072) if I sit here and scratch my head long enough I might can figure out away to put it in an enclose and toggle back and forth from double buffer to a stero sort of buffer? Or dual( both in one channel) is there a certain way I'm supposed to do this?

stecykmi

I'm having trouble finding the schematic, can you link it?

9Lives

the only one I have is the one he emailed me that he doesn't want getting out there I'm on a cell so I can't get direct link but go to AMZ site musique.com or somthing like that. Look at his pcd's for sale and he has a "multi purpose" IC board. One of the projects he sends in the email is the Dual buffer which it uses a TL072 to make 2 separate buffers on one board. Just wondering what exactly to do with it.

jkokura

Have you looked at the Coldcraft Dual Buffer? It's likely very similar. Austin gives some examples about how you might apply it.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

9Lives

k. I'll check it out now. I ended up boxing it with a road rage and doing 2 separate buffers. 2 input and 2 output jacks. Actually brightens up well. And if I want to have 1 dual buffer I just put a jumper from one out put into the others input and it runs through both. I think just bc the box still seems like it need somthing I might put another road rage in it with maybe another 18v out put. Can you tell me roughly how many average pedals the roadrage can power? Also can you replace the schkottys with recitfier diodes?

jkokura

I can't think of a reason you would ever want to run a dual buffer like you're suggesting.

A buffer's purpose is to lower the impedance of your signal. You take a high impedance signal and you run it through the buffer and it comes out a low impedance signal. Once you've done that, you can't really do it again for any real benefit.

As for your question, it entirely depends on the chip you use and the draw of the pedals you're using. a MAX1044 is reported at 10ma, so really that's good for just one overdrive. The TC1044 is good for 20ma, so that's 2-3 overdrives, or a single modulation pedal or delay pedal. The LT1054 is supposed to be good for 100ma, so that's many pedals, of many types.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

gtr2

You can use 1n4001's or 1n914's instead of the 1n5817's.  You'll just have more of a voltage drop so you'll lower the voltage at the 18V output.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

9Lives

Jacob, I keep reading about having one buffer at the beginning of the chain and one at the end. The the dual I made has 2 in puts and 2 out puts. So I can buffer into the effects and after effects to amp. This is no good? :/ I thought it was a good idea :/ it actually makes a difference with the 18v (in my head atleast) I had a ROUGH road rage that I experimented with over and over again. But also you can just put a jumper (guitar cable) from one out put to one input and just use the pedal as a dual buffer.. At any rate I only used parts laying around. Sunday project.

jkokura

A buffer at the front and a buffer at the end is helpful when you are dealing with a lo g chain with a variety of pedals in it. Some, or even just one could change the impedance of your signal after your first buffer. It would be helpful them to have a bigger at the end to change the impedance to match your amps input impedance. This is often 1M.

So, yes what you have built is useful. What I thought you meant was that you wanted to take the output I the first buffer and go directly into the input of the second buffer. With that I saw no purpose.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

stecykmi

Quote from: jkokura on January 22, 2012, 09:17:51 PM
As for your question, it entirely depends on the chip you use and the draw of the pedals you're using. a MAX1044 is reported at 10ma, so really that's good for just one overdrive. The TC1044 is good for 20ma, so that's 2-3 overdrives, or a single modulation pedal or delay pedal. The LT1054 is supposed to be good for 100ma, so that's many pedals, of many types.

Jacob

I think they can supply more than 10ma. I've looked over the documentation before and they don't explicitly state the max output current, but they have have graphs that give an Il (load current) of 40mA for the MAX1044 and 70mA for the TC1044. They also give a max power dissipation but I think that's pretty hard to calculate, but could potentially be more accurate..