News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Waffle wah.

Started by JakeFuzz, January 25, 2012, 06:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

Well I think I will be doing more tweaking this weekend but here is a clip of it with a few different effects.

The Sunking uses a 10n bass cap and has a BAT41 and BAT46 (I blew up my LM313's  :'() and has the 1M gain resistor. The fuzz is my purple CV7112 Fuzz Face, the wah effect definitely gets a little less when playing with fuzz, time to tweak some more  :D

http://soundcloud.com/jakefuzz/waffle-wah

jkokura

it sounds like you're getting a combo of volume and wah happening simultaneously early on... sorta weird.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimmybjj

......almost like you have some type of envelope type thing going on.
Pcbs no longer available

cjkbug

Quote from: jkokura on January 25, 2012, 07:21:21 PM
it sounds like you're getting a combo of volume and wah happening simultaneously early on... sorta weird.

Jacob
yeah seemed like there was a big volume drop at one end of the sweep
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

plesur

Weird volume fluctuations there.

Apparently you can make any wah into a volume pedal by lifting the ground connection of the 4uF capacitor, so that might be a good place to check.

JakeFuzz

I was tweaking with the values all last night and found something very interesting; my filter section doesn't work like it is supposed to. I took the frequency pot out of the mix (and that second cap) and it sounds absolutely epic now, similar seep range as my Wizard but much much warmer. No more crazy volume drop. I am just going to leave the pot and and use the external control for something else (peak maybe).

I did check the 4.7uf cap as well to make sure that wasn't giving me any problems. According to Keen's article this is responsible for changes in volume throughout the sweep.

What I found was this; the capacitor that is always connected to the feedback loop (3.9n) has a huge impact on the bass frequencies through the majority of the sweep of the Freq control. In other words, there is not a smooth blend between 3.9 and 100. The pot was adding very small amounts of bass to one end of the wah sweep until it shorted to the 100n when then there was a sudden large change in resonant frequency. I tested the other way around (100n always connected) and was getting the same thing except reverse (super bassy all the way up).

Ill post another sound clip tonight or this weekend but the change is huge. I am using a 15n feedback cap but may switch to a 22n.

jtn191

Quote from: plesur on January 26, 2012, 07:42:09 AM

Apparently you can make any wah into a volume pedal by lifting the ground connection of the 4uF capacitor, so that might be a good place to check.

very interesting...so you could make it a wah/volume pedal by putting that connection on a switch

Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 26, 2012, 07:54:39 AM
I was tweaking with the values all last night and found something very interesting; my filter section doesn't work like it is supposed to. I took the frequency pot out of the mix (and that second cap) and it sounds absolutely epic now, similar seep range as my Wizard but much much warmer. No more crazy volume drop.

cool, excited to hear a demo. fwiw, the whipple sounded pretty incredible even in the volume drop demo

madbean

Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 26, 2012, 07:54:39 AM
I was tweaking with the values all last night and found something very interesting; my filter section doesn't work like it is supposed to. I took the frequency pot out of the mix (and that second cap) and it sounds absolutely epic now, similar seep range as my Wizard but much much warmer. No more crazy volume drop. I am just going to leave the pot and and use the external control for something else (peak maybe).

I did check the 4.7uf cap as well to make sure that wasn't giving me any problems. According to Keen's article this is responsible for changes in volume throughout the sweep.

What I found was this; the capacitor that is always connected to the feedback loop (3.9n) has a huge impact on the bass frequencies through the majority of the sweep of the Freq control. In other words, there is not a smooth blend between 3.9 and 100. The pot was adding very small amounts of bass to one end of the wah sweep until it shorted to the 100n when then there was a sudden large change in resonant frequency. I tested the other way around (100n always connected) and was getting the same thing except reverse (super bassy all the way up).

Ill post another sound clip tonight or this weekend but the change is huge. I am using a 15n feedback cap but may switch to a 22n.

Thanks for giving your feedback. 100n might be overkill, so it may be worth mentioning in the doc that smaller values might be more palatable if one is using the Freq control...I tend to go for extreme settings sometimes :)

One thing I did not mention in the doc was that there is a little amount of "play" in the full turn of the ICAR shaft and the pinion, meaning it's possible to go just a bit high or low when trying to marry the two things together. I did a small readjustment to get the range I liked on mine by lining the teeth up a little differently /

JakeFuzz

Oh hellz yeah.

http://soundcloud.com/jakefuzz/wah-new

This is the sound I was hoping for. Took out the Freq knob and replaced with a 15n fixed cap, returned the input cap back to 100n. This thing sounds amazing  :o Much warmer than the Wizard wah, extreme range on the sweep now. You can actually drive the transistors to get a little grit with heavy pick attack (220R emitter resistor) and it sounds epic, little volume boost. Overall probably the best sounding wah I've ever played and I though my Wiz clone was the best. Stoked :D. Added a mini rotary switch to my SB order so now the Freq knob will be a cap selector switch, the blend just didn't work for me.

EDIT: oh yeah forgot to mention. I am using my '51 style telecaster into my twin reverb. The egeodriver uses stock clipping and a BB opamp. The fuzz is my prototype hybrid with a 2SA1015 and an IT308B.

madbean

Paul, I'm so glad you are pleased! The wah sounds great.

If it's okay with you, can I add your suggested mods to the doc? I would like to give a small warning that the Freq control might not suit everyone, and let them know what you found.

JakeFuzz

Yeah of course Brian. I was interested to see if anyone else had the same result or if I was using a strange pot or cap or something. I suppose we'll see soon.

nzCdog

Paul you do great demos... great tones and nice chops 8)
Until now... I didn't need another wah! ::) ;D

JakeFuzz

Quote from: nzCdog on January 26, 2012, 08:06:32 PM
Paul you do great demos... great tones and nice chops 8)
Until now... I didn't need another wah! ::) ;D

Thanks Corey! I love trying out the new gear.

This wah is so awesome my gastrocnemius is starting to hurt. I am going to invent a new term called "Waffle Leg"  ::)

nzCdog

Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 26, 2012, 08:18:26 PM
This wah is so awesome my gastrocnemius is starting to hurt.

LOL!  I googled that... Take it easy , don't do yourself an injury! :D

plesur

Wow, that wah sounds great now. Some of the slow sweeps with the EgoDriver on sound really psychedelic.

Can't wait for my board to arrive now!  :)