Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Waffle wah.

Started by JakeFuzz, January 25, 2012, 06:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

Pcbs no longer available

eldanko

This is EXACTLY the wah sound I have been chasing!!  Well done bro... Brian is going to be adding these mods to the build doc?  I want that sound....
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

JakeFuzz

Quote from: eldanko on January 27, 2012, 08:39:27 AM
This is EXACTLY the wah sound I have been chasing!!  Well done bro... Brian is going to be adding these mods to the build doc?  I want that sound....

I know right! I can't wait to get home and play it tonight.

I think all the mods I did are currently in the build docs. The only strange thing I did is replace the sweep wiper cap with 330n instead of 220n and use a standard taper Vox pot, supposedly this gives you an ICAR approximation; sounds good to me.

Specifically I just took out the 100n cap on the blend pot and put a 15n in place of the 3n9. I used a Whipple inductor, 2n2925 trannies, the Q1 emitter resistor is 220R and the input resistor is 47K. I will be doing the feedback cap switcher later but it sounds amazing right now!

Cliff

Oh wow this new demo is awesome. Nice work! Can't wait for mine!

jkokura

Paul, the second clip is MUCH better now. I like it quite a bit.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

JakeFuzz

Thanks Jacob! I love wah, instant Hendrix tones, and now that this one works well with my fuzz pedals even better!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Ohh I'm soo stoked! You really got it sounding truly amazing! I'm coming to you for help when I get around to building mine!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

JakeFuzz

Hell yeah! cruise up whenever you start building and we'll get it all together. I have to head up to apex one of these days to pick up some much needed parts too.

joegagan

beautiful sound. love the later clip. but actually the first clip was cool too.

i love it when people lower the voicing on inductor wahs, makes them sound very parapedal-like.

JakeFuzz

Thanks Joe. I've been watching all your wah videos lately. You have some wild sounding ones. They all sound good. Do you own all of those?

Speaking of the parapedal that could be a really cool project I think. The circuit is simple enough. The trouble is getting that dual 10K pot. What if you could program a microcontroller and a dual digital pot to control the parameters? You could hook all kinds of crazy things up to control the pedal: custom lfo, regular old pot, photoresistor, envelope. The programs for SPI pot control are super simple... That would be awesome  8)

joegagan

jake,thanks so much. yeah, i still own about half of them. every once in a while someone comes by our store and falls in love with one of 'em and takes one home. with players, we love to do side by side comparos, the differences become apparent very quickly.

i have about 6 boomerangs, most are in line for restore/repair.

parapedal.

wilson has the freak wah, which is based on the parapedal. sounds very close to the originals as far as i can tell. in burgerman's demo vid (    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uneGh0c5j1s&feature=g-all-u&context=G2f93b59FAAAAAAAAAAA       ), i could see he was using a pot that looks identical to the  mr.supercrybaby dunlop pot. i wonder if he is getting his pots through someone selling dunlop repair parts? i think those are 100k dualgangs. wilson has been known to sub in higher value pots for lower in the past ( wilson rippah Q based on boomerang but using an icar taper  180k propot in place of the 25K). owned a rippah Q, it sounded great ( after i replaced the scratchy pot) but the build quality and parts were so- so. almost all chinese parts, incl enclosure. i think all chinese pots are crap, they get scratchy in no time (dunlop mccoy reissue,  roc pot, propot, etc etc).  hotpotz2 are the only pots that really hold up. george blekas of pedalworks agrees.

BTW, all of the late model dunlops with cheap chinese pots are scratchy. they messed up when they got away from the hotpotz2.

thanks for checking out my vids! believe it or not, i have bought and sold a bunch of wahs that i didn't even make videos of! i only make vids of the ones that i think are historic, modded by me, or unique.

my two holy grail wahs are:

-67 maestro boomerang BG1, no one knows how many exist but i think it is way less than 100.
http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/Boomerang3.htm

- teese rmc3 , made in 96, second or third year, but in the vox case, supposedly the last one made in a non-teese encolsure. sounds better and quite different from rmc3s of just 6 years later.

joegagan

oh, one more thing about  the digital micropot idea. i have been studying guys online who have tried it using MDA/midi controllers etc, the problems is still the LAG. too many components involved= lag IMO, and backed up by recent experiments by others.

JakeFuzz

Hmm yeah that would make sense. That would suck if you had a laggy response on a wah type pedal. I imagine for LFO control though it wouldn't be noticeable. Laggy envelope control might be a little weird too.

The Gfex schematic shows a 10K dual pot. That is one cool sounding pedal, super sweep range and at the lower sweep settings it sounds like the seamoon funk machine I used to own. Maybe ill start working on a prototype sort of thing with it. 

You should have a video comparison channel with all those wahs. Ill have to get a better pot when this one starts going. Looks super old as it is.

joegagan

yeah! would love to see your take on seamooon/ para type thing.

it's too late to re-organize all those vids into thair own channel, nice idea, but i don't have time for that. if you look at them in chronological order they makes sense tho. at least all 9 of the teese rmcs tettings vids are in order - ha

your pot? if it ins't scratchy, enjoy it til it fails. have fun. sounded good in the vids.

pryde

Wow.

I never really been much for wha but your demo changed my mind. Friggin awesome.

Must get  :o