News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Error on the Slambox board???

Started by pauloman80, August 21, 2010, 10:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauloman80

I was building a few Slamboxes yesterday with one of my church players: one for me, one for him and one for his son.  For the life of us we could not get the LED to light up.  Signal path was fine, the pedal functioned aurally the way it's supposed to, but that dang LED would not pass go and collect its $200.  I was getting frustrated as I was all ready to do the LED+Plexiglas border. 

On a whim, my friend swapped the LED leads going into the board, and BAM.  Worked like a charm.  So either the board is incorrect, LED's use square terminal for negative instead of positive, or we goofed something else along the line.  Can anyone else confirm? 

I'm just happy it works now.  Will try to post pics in a couple days, flying out today for a gig up in DC. 
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

Boom

Hmm,

the longer lead is + (anode), the shorter one on the flat side of the led - (cathode). The cathode should go in the square pad.

I donĀ“t see anything wrong with the layout though. Have you looked at how you wired up power to the pedal, or the switch wiring ?

madbean

He's right, the arrangement is backwards. This  has been corrected on newer layouts, and the new manufactured boards.

scdesigns

Quote from: Boom on August 21, 2010, 01:04:56 PM
Hmm,

the longer lead is + (anode), the shorter one on the flat side of the led - (cathode). The cathode should go in the square pad.

Wouldn't always go by that rule, i've had many LED's where it has been the opposite, by looking at the LED the cathode is the flatest (largest) part visible in the LED. Always best to check that than go with the legs.