News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

old BOSS ME-10

Started by sam_c, February 11, 2012, 05:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam_c

so I won an old boss me-10 on ebay the other day.  It's in amazing condition with all the original manual etc, I doubt its even been switched on in the past 10 years.

It fired up fine, then after 30 mins or so started making popping noise like I was at a fireworks display.  quickly switched it off, opened it up and it seems as though some or all of the electrolytic caps have burst and leaked a thick gooey yellow liquid over some of the main board. 

I thought seen as theres only 7 large caps that seem to have leaked I might try to replace them and see if I can get it working again.

Worst case is I can salvage a load of jack sockets, footswitches, diodes and some large socketed IC's or maybe even use the enclsoure to house some of these baby boards that will be coming out soon and make my own multi fx pedal!

sgmezei

Ewwwwwwww that stuff stinks man. I would try and swap those caps out and see if it works. Others will chime in I am sure.

And with the baby boards coming out, I am sure you will be able to make a badass MultiFX out of it. I should look and try and find my digitech RP200...............(insert: hearty laugh).

madbean

Yeah, just recap that at the same voltage. Totally worth the effort, I think. Watch out for any mains voltage that might be residing in there, though.

I had an ME-5 way back in the 80's. Cheesy yet awesome.

sam_c

yeah I think its worth a try. I got it with a nice steel carry case for £25 and it really does look like new.

Ive been through a few multi fx in the last couple of years (gt8, gt10 stuff like that) and the OD's/distortions are hard to work with live through an amp.  Theres just too many options and not enough impressive sounds straight out of the box.  I spent more time tweaking before each gig than actually playing.

I'll get the meter out and check to see if everythings discharged.  Theres only 7 caps in there and they are only rated at 35v, quite large values though. 

gt10

Hi
I have a ME-10 as well with the same problems. I read this and decided to get mine out and have a look. I've pulled one cap out but what looked like yellow goo on the board turned out to be glue from what i can work out.
Just wondering if you replaced the caps in yours and if it solved the problem?
Cheers Drew

ncdb07

I have the service manual for the ME-10 if anyone needs it.

ncdb07
ncdb07
Daniel

ahiddentableau

I'm dredging up an oldie here, but I have an old ME-10 and I'm looking for a service manual/schematics.  Anyone happen to have schems for this old fella?