Main Menu

What kind of sorcery? Z.Cat Poly-Octaver 2

Started by jtn191, February 13, 2012, 04:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtn191

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn_M8sY8SuA

how do they do all that? dsp?

jkokura

Yes. Their reverb and delay pedals are all based on the FV-1 chip I believe. I really like the sustained reverb pedal they do.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

djaaz

I was thinking of doing something similar using some of the upcoming pcb board.
Adding some delay and/or chorus to the lowrider. I don't know what the results would be. I'm guessing quite far away from this demo but i'm betting it will be fun at least.

Vintageman

WOW. great sound, and unbelievable...a lot of effects in such a single box...it would be nice to see how it works with open strings...but as you said, djaaz....we have nothing less than the lowrider!!

I built the low-rider and it´s simply amazing. It could be the ultimate octaver if it worked better with open strings (specially the upper octave). I think that moding the lowrider could be a great idea. I already have in mind to develop a modification for the low rider. The idea is to put an extra output jack, that would be an output only for the low octaves, in order to plug it into a bass amp (simultaneously with the guitar amp of course). I think that the sound could be nice. And I'm not really sure about wether is safe to use octavers (with low octaves) for the speakers of the guitar amp. (what do you think about it?)

A redesign is needed in order to add more opamps for amplifying the signal of the two lower
octaves apart of the whole mix (that would go through the main out). It could be nice to use a switched jack to mute the lower octaves in the guitar amp when connected.

I'm working in it, slow because of the lack of time, but I'll post the results of my experiments, promise.

regards folks!!

madbean

You could just pull the output from R46 and R55, feed that into an IC buffer, or low feedback non-inverted set-up, with volume knob and make that your down octave output. It would be pretty straight forward, as mods go.

Vintageman

Hey hey hey....great idea!!

You´re right Brian. Its beauty is in the simplicity. I´m trying to complicate the simple thing, man. hehe

I´m going to try the IC buffer and straight to the output. I can experiment or add further effects to the signal outside the stompbox, and I can also adjust the lower octaves volumes in the stompbox or in the bass amp.

So, I´m gonna try this way.

Regards folks!

Vintageman

I´ve tried the mod.  R46 and r55 joined and drived to the switched jack. Outside the box I passed the signal through an IC buffer and tried with 2 guitar amps.

Two problems. First the signal is too low to be usable. Even with the amp at the maximum level, the volume that´s giving the lower octaves output isn´t enough. (really low)

And the other point that´s confusing me is that the pots doesn´t work with the extra output. Can the signal be passing through other way?

Ok, I´m waiting for an breadboard that I´ve ordered. (I actually don´t have) And  soon I´ll be trying to develop a good mod.

Regards