News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Heatshrink

Started by greyscales, February 24, 2012, 12:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyscales

Obviously this is a pretty wide open question, but it's one that doesn't get discussed much.

Where do you all source heatshrink and what size do you use?

A lot of the more professional builds use it, and it is something I want to start using.

Haberdasher

If there's a fry's near you they have loads of it in lots of different sizes and colors.  That's where I usually gets mines.
Lowe's has it in black in much shorter sections, like in a pack.
Radioshack even has packs of it but of course quite overpriced.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Om_Audio

Sent via soup cans and string.

lloyd17

harbor freight is cheap for shrink tube

Haberdasher

the stuff I have isn't labeled and I no longer have the packaging.  I'd get some 1/8 and 1/4 & see what you like to use.  The 1/8 might be a little tight for some things but just right for the smaller lugs of dc jacks, say.  In fact the 1/8 will probably be too small for most things so maybe just try 1/4.  it's just going to be a preference thing I guess, sorry i don't have more info.

if you want to make the pot condoms I think you use 5/8 (16mm), which I can't find in stores.  you'd have to hit ebay up for that.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

Haberdasher

Here's a link to an ebay seller out of Las Vegas (no affiliation w/ me).  It looks like you can buy the # of 5' sections you want and then send him a note saying what colors and sizes you want.  $1.90 for shipping and then 50 cents more shipping fee for each additional item.  That's not too bad.  I think I'm going to order some myself.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

bigmufffuzzwizz

I bought the stuff I'm still using from Futurlec. It's really cheap and sold by the meter (3 feet). Been doing the job for me!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jimijam

veroboard.com has the best prices and lots of colors and sizes
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

pickdropper

McMaster Carr has the largest selection I've seen, but is probably not the absolute cheapest.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

I use the 2.5 mm and the 6 mm (roughly 1/8" and 1/4"); 1/8" on the solder tabs on pots/toggle switches, and 1/4" on the lugs on the jacks (provided you're using open frame).  I bought all of mine from musikding when I was overseas, they have an assortment pack with case for under $3, a ridiculously good deal, especially if you build your own cables, as you can use the bigger sizes on those.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.