News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fat pants question

Started by 9Lives, February 26, 2012, 07:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

I just etched one of these just for the hell of it as a sunday project and pieced it together with parts I had laying around.  Is it supposed to be this bassy? It colors the sound very well and it doesn't roll off the high end, it just creates sooo much bass it rattled things off the shelfs in my shop. I did have to sub in a couple parts. C1 220pF I used .22 tant +-  and all my 47uF elec caps were 169 :/ so I used a 68uF. I used 1n5818 for D2 and 3, the max1044 pump and J201 fet. Also used tants for the 10uF caps. I'm playing through a passive ESP guitar through a Kustom 10" speaker (cant think of model but pretty dark)   

it's not a bad sound by ANY means. I was just expecting more of a boost and it's definitely a low end enhancer. Is this how it supposed to sound?

madbean

You used .22 tant for 220pF? That's why it's bassy! Because you used 220n, not 220pF.

add4

Hey bean,
About that..
i find that my fat pants fat pot is actually more a 'thin' pot.
when it's a the max, i get the sound of the guitar, but all the other settings make the sound thinner.
my ES335 copy sounds like a strat or a tele.
Is that normal? would you have an idea of how i could get the opposite? or, even better, natural sound in the middle of the pot, and going fat or thin when you turn the pot either way.

But i agree, it colors the sound VERY nicely! can't wait for v3 :)
(i'm not asking for a release date, see? :) )

madbean

The Fat control does two things. It brings the source pin of the JFET closer to ground, which increases the output, and it acts as a variable filter with the 22n cap in parallel. If you want to increase the overall low end, you can either remove the cap or increase its value. I suggest increasing the value since that actually adds to the gain, too. Try 220n on up. The "Body" control in v.3 puts a 47uF in there which gives you a very full range and tons of gain.

add4

sounds great! i'll definitely try that.
thanks for the input bean!

9Lives

I never question your awesomeness bean but help me understand. On the conversion chart it says 220pF/ 0.22n cap code 21. My tant is a .22mf. Am I seeing somthing wrong? If I am what value can I sub in? I don't have many pf values laying around?

pickdropper

.22 mF is 10^3 larger than .22 nF, which is the problem bean is referring to.

220 pF = 0.22 nF = 0.00022 mF.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

mjcyates

http://www.justradios.com/uFnFpF.html

0.22uF / MFD 220nF 220000pF (MMFD)   0.00022uF / MFD 0.22nF 220pF (MMFD)

madbean

If you don't have any 220pF or closely related values available, then you can leave that cap off or use a 1n. I would not go higher than that.

9Lives

ok thanks every one. On a serious note though I think I found a sweet mod on accident. This thing booms! Like a drug deales car. I swear. And it doesn't loose highs which is what surprised me. I might actually keep it on a switch bc it sounds badass w a heavy set compressor. It's like an earthquake lol. I wasn't turned off by it at all just figured it being from an amp circuit that it sounded a lill funny. I'll try the 1n . As for the 47pf +- cap do you think the 68pf should be fine? I don't have any 47pf at 25v but it I HAVE to I can prolly find one at radioshack.