News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cave Dweller

Started by midwayfair, May 01, 2012, 11:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

This is it for a little bit I think while I wait on some inline sockets for transistor to arrive in the mail. And I've still got a low rider in need of a boxing ... :/

This build really made me nervous, since I've never done transistors OR chips without sockets, but it worked just fine the first time I fired it up. I had plenty of room to spare in the box ... it involved cutting up a neutrik plastic jack, and I'm not trilled about this having a different power plug than my other baby builds, but the important part is that it works.

I think I need to do a little touching up on the snakes and lettering, but the clear coat is drying so I don't mess up and create runs in what's already there.

alanp

I'm lovin' these tinybuilds. They give me hope that one day even hamfisted me can make one :D

I'll have to hit one of you lot up for 'lytic caps, though, because I am not paying the $30 Mouser quotes for shipping to NZ for a handful of bloody capacitors.

How much harder was this than a standard B enclosure?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on May 02, 2012, 12:20:06 AMHow much harder was this than a standard B enclosure?

Not too much harder as long as you use the right parts and are very careful about drilling to the template. I have access to a drill press, so I'm lucky in that regard. I'd say that the limitations on parts is the real challenge.

You should be able to use tantalum caps if you can't get the small electrolytic caps.

Guitarmageddon

Looks cool man.
I really like when people hand paint the enclosures.

@alanp, you might want to try Ellement14 (formerly Farnel).
I'm in Oz, and while they're not always the very cheapest, shipping might be more reasonable.
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

gtr2

alanp

You can always tag along with someone's order in the states and they can ship it over.  I've done this for a few people.  It's way cheaper for you that way if your just ordering small parts, just not something like enclosures.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer