News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

mudbunny mids pots too subtle?

Started by add4, February 29, 2012, 04:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

add4

I finished a ram's head and added the midts pot and while i can hear a difference, i find it too subtle (i'd love to go from no mids to too much miss in one swipe of the pot).
I tried 25kB, 50kB, and 100kB pots and it's still too sublet for me..
Is there problem on my pcb? is it supposed to be obvious? am i tone deaf? or is it a subtle effect from the beginning?
Thanks

mgwhit

Adding the Mids/Presence control to the Mudbunny actually requires tweaking the values of other components on the board.  At least C10 and R18, possibly C11 and R19 as well.  I don't think the build doc mentions this.  Check out Jack Orman's AMZ Presence Control article that the whole mod is based on.  Good luck!

marauder

Download this
http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

It will let you plug in the values you are using and see what effect various resistors and caps in the muff tone have.

add4

doesn't work with mac, unfortunately :p
but thanks for the help ... i'll try the amz values

marauder

Quote from: add4 on February 29, 2012, 05:22:20 PM
doesn't work with mac, unfortunately :p
but thanks for the help ... i'll try the amz values

PM me some values and I'll get some screen shots for you.

add4

Thanks.. but i won't do it in the near future.. i think i'll keep this pedal closed and play with it a bit to see if i actually would like to change that or not .. i really like the EQ of the ram's head in fact, and i'd like to add the miss option without changing the rest of the EQ at all..
I think on the next try i'll just make a separate control for the bass and treble side.

I'm also thinking i could remake the tone stack calculator by myself in matlab or R. writing boring equations in computer is supposed to be my job after all :) i could make it a little less boring for once.

marauder

Did you change R18 to a lower value?
If not the pot wont scoop, only flatten the response when turned up.

Change it to a 15K resistor, then the response will be pretty much stock with the mid pot in the middle using a 50K pot.

Changing C11 to a 15nf will help if you find too many high mids are being scooped.

Just do the resistor swap first and see how you like it.

add4

i'didn't change anything at all! i'll try that in a few days and i'll post the results here for more advices or the archives in case someone else has the same question.
thanks

add4

Ok guys,
i used this marauder's values in this thread (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=4038.0;topic seen).
i replaced R18 by a 6.8K resistor and used a 50Kb pot .. it's perfect now! thanks for your help.
i had no idea the resistor had to be changed, but it's logical in fact.. thanks to you all for your help

this pedal is jut great!

oldhousescott

I'm not a Mac guy, (we do have a MBP, but my daughter has pretty much commandeered it), but I was wondering if Wine would let you run the TSC. Anybody tried it?