News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dig Dug Trouble (problem solved)

Started by scdesigns, September 11, 2010, 04:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scdesigns

So i just finished my Dig Dug! But alas i have some trouble, seems that the filter and all of the range pots have little effect until they are in the very end of their turn. Works great at full turn but all i get is that - Speed knob works great though! Im wondering if its actually the IC's im using that are causing the problem.

IC1 - HCF4017BE
IC2 - HEF4093BP

I have ordered what i now hope are the correct IC's per naming convention anyway. As far as other parts go they are all original values including the LDR VTL5C3.

I see no wiring problems or no solder bridges, all input is welcome.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6492/dscf2286p.jpg

scdesigns

Bump for ideas! Thinking maybe the opto isn't working as it should? I'm really stumped on this one, I've etched another to test out we'll see what happens there but some input from anyone who's sucessfully got this going would be great.

pauloman80

Quote from: scdesigns on September 14, 2010, 05:48:58 AM
Bump for ideas! Thinking maybe the opto isn't working as it should? I'm really stumped on this one, I've etched another to test out we'll see what happens there but some input from anyone who's sucessfully got this going would be great.

The only thing I can think of is the range pots you used might have the wrong taper and the wrong values for this build.  I don't know what you used, but if you're not noticing a change until the range pots are wide open then my guess would be you accidentally used reverse audio taper pots when standard audio or linear taper should have been used, plus the value when the pots are wide open doesn't seem high enough to make a noticeable difference.  I don't see anywhere on the build doc that indicates what taper and value those pots should be...  Then again I could be talking out of my rear.  ???  But like I said, that's really the only thing that comes to mind as far as what you're experiencing.
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

scdesigns

Thanks but the tapers are linear and im using 100kb's They are listed on the schematic.

maysink

I think this is how the DD works--the knobs have a minimal working range from about 75% - 100% rotation. That's how mine works, anyhow.
[nothing to see here]
-e

scdesigns

Sounds more like the tremorama and less like the ooh wah.

pauloman80

Quote from: scdesigns on September 14, 2010, 10:49:24 AM
Thanks but the tapers are linear and im using 100kb's They are listed on the schematic.

Aha, took another look at the schematic this time and saw the values and tapers indicated.  Dunno.  I checked ZVex's site and how he recommends the Ooh Wah be used, with some of the settings he indicates it does seem like you should get more significant changes in the sound.  Oh well... sorry I couldn't be of any help!
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

madbean

100kB is definitely the correct taper. The only deviation in the Dig Dug from the "Ohh Wah" (AFAIK) is the vactrol listed. My parts list indicates a VTL5C3 which is what I used in my test build. However, as I indicated in another thread last week, the VTL5C9 might be that actual one. I just got mine in a few days ago, and I will swap this out with the other as soon as time allows.

The bunching up is fairly typical from my experience. Whether or not a different Vactrol will have any effect remains to be seen. As far as the filter pot...you should see a pretty dramatic change over the sweep of the pot, although it isn't exactly a smooth ramp. I put that in there just as an extra to allow different tonal settings over the resonant peak of the inductor-less wah portion of the circuit.

maysink

Stick some dirt on your signal to make the dig dug go all wah-y vs. tremolo-y. Also, set every other knob at 100% and vary the remainder knobs 70 - 95%. I had 2 run the filter knob low to make my humbucker do the wah.

Brian: let us know what you find vis a vis the different VTL5C*
[nothing to see here]
-e

scdesigns

So not much of a real update here, I've ordered a vtl5c9 and I'm going to roll some of my own and test this out. The plan is to set the ldr's up on my bread board and use hookup wire to jumper them to the pcb. I'll post my results here and I'm open to any other sugestions to test out.

madbean

Yes, making your own might certainly help. A regular 3mm or 5mm LED (water clear or diffused) and some Radio Shack LDR's is all you need.

I will have time this week for sure to get mine out and mess around with it, so I will report back, as well.

scdesigns

Great Sucess! Here's my little experiment;

So i bought another VTL5C3 to test if i had received a dud, still the same sound.

I got me a VTL5C9 and voila! Working like a charm!

Also Rolled my own up top and am kinda stuck between that and the VTL5C9, both sound fantastic!

madbean

You win the internets today, scdesigns! Good investigating.

jkokura

I'm impressed that you rolled your own! I don't know how to do that. I'm sure I could learn, but I still think it's impressive when anyone DIY's a part!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

scdesigns

I'm sure you can do your own easily mate its not rocket science, hell I didn't even use heat shrink! Just some electrical tape.

Started with 2 small squares of tape and put the legs through the tape peircing it and bringing them upto the bases of the ldr and the led. I then placed both of them together and wound some more around it tightly making sure there was no leaking of light.

If I get time I'll to a pictorial.