News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Buttery Bactrial, and what to do with metal power jacks

Started by midwayfair, March 22, 2012, 06:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Jeeeeezzze. Why do these metal power jacks exist? I got a couple thinking, "oh this means I can insert it from the inside. shortshortshort on the case.

This isn't an madbeans board (I've got some pics of those coming up as soon as the enclosures are done), but I just wanted to show off the perfect crapstorm that this enclosure turned out to be. Because we also drilled an extra 9v jack hole - and unless someone can give me an idea for a third knob on the Tube Sound Fuzz/Red Llama?

Anyway ... I tried a bunch of stuff to deal with the metal power jack to keep it from shorting on the case and to avoid needing to redrill the hole larger. I ended up wrapping it in a piece of opened wire shielding and supergluing it to the case.

I'm leaving out the gutshots because it isn't Brian's board, but we've all seen little blue resistors and poly caps, right? (It's a PCB in any case.)

bangerang101

Oh no, those un-isolated metal jacks from radioshack (ratshack)! Been there b4 man... I recall buying some rubber gromets from home-depot (or other similar hardware store) and super gluing the jack inside the gromet... kind of a hassle, but a good solution if your stuck w/ one of those jacks.
Owner of Luck Duck Pedals (LDP)

midwayfair

nah, I get all my stuff from Smallbear ... this was purely my stupidity. I meant to get their metal ones that have the plastic "buffers" (the ones made special for Smallbear), and I got the ones without instead. But yeah, when you're stuck with them and refuse to waste parts you get creative.

jkokura

I did the same thing when I built my first pedals! I bought 5 of them and 5 1590B enclosures thinking top jacks right? Wrong.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

chromesphere

Another victim of the metal jacks here.  I used them for the first 8 or so pedals i built.  I've since replaced them all with plastic ones, they just look neater and i didnt think of supergluing the metal ones in, so they kept falling out of the gromet which was annoyng. 

I like the graphics, got loads of character, well done!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube