News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

STM800 (BoobTube Twin)

Started by juansolo, April 02, 2012, 10:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbean

Fantastic!! :o

I'd like to build something like that, and I have some old 12AT7s I'd like to use.

es là-bas!!

dbharris

more fenderish...dumble ODS based perhaps?

that would be way cool!

juansolo

Well I'll put everyone out of their misery. He's going to have a go at stomp boxing this:

Gonna leave out the eq... Saying that, we've got a couple of 5 band sliders kicking about from an old hi-fi that might work... Probably going a little far for a stomp mind you!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

How much does the starved plate design affect the tone, and does it affect the operating lifetime of the valve?

(Does the word 'tube' make anyone else think of bicycle and car inner tubes in the tyres?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Definitely effects it as it lowers headroom. Tonally though, plugged into my clean 6v6 amps return (just using the power stage and by-passing the pre), it makes it sound very Marshall. It's actually how it works best. If I didn't already use the loop for some other things, it'd become a permanent fixture there as it's got a handy loop bypass switch on the back. Maybe it's time to make a loop switcher box... *rubs chin*

We're at 60v on the plates vs around 300v in an amp. Heaters are running at the correct voltage so it's tough to say what valve life will be. In theory it should be longer. Who knows though.

The toob thing comes from our friends across the pond calling them vacuum tubes rather than thermionic valves (which sounds far sexier).

Vallhagen

This one is absolutely wonderful.

Very inspiring to enter a forum and see things like this!

Cheers!
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

juansolo

I take it back about it being better as a pre than a stomp... We found a mistake that we'd made with the power section meaning voltages were seriously down. Fixed it today and bloody hell it's impressive. I mean, without the grunt it was good, now it's properly ticking along with the power it should be, it's awesome. Very happy bunny.

CarpathiART

This is something else man.. great build!

bigmufffuzzwizz

So badass! You guys have done so much work on this project its incredible. One day I'd like to build one for myself.  ;D
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

karter2000

I'd love to give this one a try, but I'm confused on how to wire the heaters.  Are both tubes still run at 6v?

juansolo

Yep, the heaters for both tubes run at 6v. Run the +6v feed from your regulator to pin 9 and run pins 4&5 to ground on each tube.

wasteofspace

Quote from: juansolo on April 22, 2012, 12:28:00 PM
I take it back about it being better as a pre than a stomp... We found a mistake that we'd made with the power section meaning voltages were seriously down. Fixed it today and bloody hell it's impressive. I mean, without the grunt it was good, now it's properly ticking along with the power it should be, it's awesome. Very happy bunny.
What a great effort!

Did fixing this error change the schematic in any way?
- dMac

Making his own pedals since 1998!

juansolo

Nah, it was me trying to tap into the charge pump halfway through using the newer one that doesn't like that at all. Schematic is all as was and I changed the power veros to cover my mistake ;)

dmac

I know this one was put to bed long ago, but if I wanted to slip a brightness switch into this, where would be a good place to put it? (I'll muck around with values)

juansolo

In the amp the presence control in the power section deals with it. We added the two 10ks and 2n2s at the end to tame it a little in ours so you might want to mess with those.