News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking odd parts.

Started by 9Lives, April 08, 2012, 06:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

There's a few odd caps it calls for like 82n and a couple others. I have alot of odd size caps but not a couple. Is it alright to use the next size up on these? I hope bc I already soldered in. Has anyone used the mosfet clipping on this? And one more.. On the etched wiring diagram on the pdf it has a 3PDT with the middle lugs unused. I'm guessing a dpdt would be better?

9Lives

O ya! For Z1. What is that Z for? Sckotty? All I have is 1n5817? Will that be ok?

oldhousescott

No, it's a 12v Zener. A normal diode will protect against reverse voltage connection, but not against overvoltage.

9Lives

sht.. So the sckotty I put in there needs to come out..?

jkokura

Yes, chances are it needs to be removed.

With caps, generally you are safe with matching 5-10% off the value. In the case of 82nF, you can go as much as 90nF down to about 74nF and be within tolerance. However, chances are that with either 68nF or 100nF you'd be fine but it might not sound the same.

Another thing you can do is use two caps in parallel or in series to get whatever value you don't. Try playing with an online capacitor calclulator.

I have tried mosfet clipping, both in the Sunking and elsewhere and it's often a really cool sound. I prefer germanium diode clipping myself, but that's me.

There is no better switch. Either will work, a DPDT or a 3PDT are essentially the same, just one has more poles.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals