News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

dual pt delay w/ tap tempo...800ms (blockhead?)

Started by B_of_H, September 24, 2010, 07:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_of_H

I desperately need a tap tempo diy delay that does double the delay time of the pt80 at least.   ::)

is that what the blockhead is going to be?  :fingerscrossed

jkokura

Double the PT80 is 1160ms, so just a bit more than 1 second, which is a great amount of delay by the way. Have you looked at using PTAP with BYOC's pingpong delay? It's one option with 800ms, as is the new Taptation developed and available at the DIYStompboxes forum which I'm sure you can integrate into any double PT2399 circuit.

Brian can let you in on more about the Blockhead, but I'm curious about your desperation? If you're really that desperate, have you looked at the EchoPark from Line 6? It's about 100 used if you're smart... If you need something DIY I guess you'll have to wait.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

B_of_H

Quote from: jkokura on September 24, 2010, 07:25:47 PM
Double the PT80 is 1160ms, so just a bit more than 1 second, which is a great amount of delay by the way. Have you looked at using PTAP with BYOC's pingpong delay? It's one option with 800ms, as is the new Taptation developed and available at the DIYStompboxes forum which I'm sure you can integrate into any double PT2399 circuit.

Brian can let you in on more about the Blockhead, but I'm curious about your desperation? If you're really that desperate, have you looked at the EchoPark from Line 6? It's about 100 used if you're smart... If you need something DIY I guess you'll have to wait.

Jacob

thought process is done I believe.  i built a rebote with ptap and it's not quite cutting it and I have no room on my board for another enclosure so i tried to rehouse a marshall echohead and i can't get the jacks out of one of the pcb's etc... and it won't fit unless I get it taken apart. 

basically i have a hammond D box that houses all my delay circuits for live performances and allows me to switch delays in specific ways for certain songs etc...   It has 3 3pdt switches and two a/b relays and tap tempo.  (a byoc ping pong, a rebote 2.5 and a pt80 plus a second rebote for tap tempo. 

i'll see if I can get a decent pic with my phone.  it'd kinds complex to describe :)

jkokura

Sounds really cool! I want to see that! Sorry my suggestions weren't more helpful.

jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

B_of_H

Quote from: jkokura on September 24, 2010, 09:36:58 PM
Sounds really cool! I want to see that! Sorry my suggestions weren't more helpful.

jacob

you don't want to see the insides...it'll give you nightmares. :)  (actually I planed it out so I can get anywhere in there I need to but it's not pretty)

it's on the upper left (the tap and relay switch is also copper but not in this photo)  this photo isn't the finished board...i'm waiting for paint to dry on that right now. 

delay box is:

A loop contains rebote with on/off switch

B loop contains a jack deville clickless a/b relay that switches between a 3pdt that toggles between a pt80 and the byoc ping pong and the tap tempo rebote circuit also has a 3pdt that toggles between two different repeat settings (one goes into osciallation)

in jack on left goes to GGG digital reverb and out to the amp

bottom right: cupcake>serendipity pcb modded to the specs I posted on the mod forum>egodriver all run off a road rage

bottom left: jack deville's clickless true bypass system a/b sends to delay box and a sunking

top right is a phase 45 clone and a tremulus lune.  

jkokura

You really thought your board out, even with the bottom mounted jacks on the upper pedals. That's really creative pedal building for yourself!

I too want to build a big 1590DD with a dual PT2399 delay with Tap Tempo. Actually, I'd like there to be two delays in there - one a longer Digital delay based on two PT2399's and the other a BBD based Analog delay of at least 600ms. The Tap tempo would apply to both pedals, and each would have it's own multiplier knob. Ideally this would all be in True Stereo, but I know that's stretching it a little too far. I've also thought about having a single PT2399 delay in there with modulation like the Echo Base, and then having the Tap Tempo switch be external, but now we're talking about syncing three different delay's with one tap switch... I dunno.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

madbean

Very clever designs you have there, B_of_H!

As far as the feature set for the Blockhead, I'm still working that out. My dream is to actually make it a hybrid analog/digital delay with tap tempo. Another alternative is a pseudo 'multi-head' delay, like a Space Echo. I want to make into something other than just a PT-80/Rebote/Echo Base copy. Those are great projects, but there's no sense in offering the same thing in a different package.

Additional features might include modulation, expression pedal input, maybe some kind of stereo feature, and maybe even reverb.

As far as the total amount of delay, it really depends on what format this thing takes. I'd say 600ms at minimum, and if I can work out something in the range of 800ms-1s, then even better. If this can be done with a minimum amount of calibration, then it will be a success :)

B_of_H

Quote from: jkokura on September 25, 2010, 12:16:09 AM
You really thought your board out, even with the bottom mounted jacks on the upper pedals. That's really creative pedal building for yourself!

I too want to build a big 1590DD with a dual PT2399 delay with Tap Tempo. Actually, I'd like there to be two delays in there - one a longer Digital delay based on two PT2399's and the other a BBD based Analog delay of at least 600ms. The Tap tempo would apply to both pedals, and each would have it's own multiplier knob. Ideally this would all be in True Stereo, but I know that's stretching it a little too far. I've also thought about having a single PT2399 delay in there with modulation like the Echo Base, and then having the Tap Tempo switch be external, but now we're talking about syncing three different delay's with one tap switch... I dunno.

Jacob

thanks, I put way too much time into it for my own sanity.  :)  there is a very minimal amount of cable used as you can see.  (i'll post this one in the other forum)

here is a better pic:

I'd love to hear more about your idea.  I could really implement some of that into my rig here as I really wish I had two different tap tempo delays that shared a switch with one set to do dotted 8ths and the other straight up tapped in notes. 

Quote from: madbean on September 25, 2010, 12:28:15 AM
Very clever designs you have there, B_of_H!

As far as the feature set for the Blockhead, I'm still working that out. My dream is to actually make it a hybrid analog/digital delay with tap tempo. Another alternative is a pseudo 'multi-head' delay, like a Space Echo. I want to make into something other than just a PT-80/Rebote/Echo Base copy. Those are great projects, but there's no sense in offering the same thing in a different package.

Additional features might include modulation, expression pedal input, maybe some kind of stereo feature, and maybe even reverb.

As far as the total amount of delay, it really depends on what format this thing takes. I'd say 600ms at minimum, and if I can work out something in the range of 800ms-1s, then even better. If this can be done with a minimum amount of calibration, then it will be a success :)

cool.  Sounds like a great idea.

I'm using the ping pong setting on the byoc to emulate that tape echo multi-head setting on my dd20 actually.  I darkened up the repeats but it's still a little sterile. 

lincolnic

Quote from: madbean on September 25, 2010, 12:28:15 AMAnother alternative is a pseudo 'multi-head' delay, like a Space Echo.

I'd love to see something along these lines, personally.

B_of_H

the idea of using the fatpants as a preamp for my byoc delay just came to me thanks to this thread.

I tried to darken the byoc by raising the values of a few caps off the pt but I still think it's a little bright and sterile to do a realistic tape echo type sound.  (not concerned about flutter as much as brightness of repeats at this point).  So i've decided to pull the road rage that is powering this circuit and use the fatpants in it's place (soldering the byoc power to the cathode of D3).  I'm going to try to darken up the fatpants even more so i'll post some of my findings in the mods forum.

gtr2

I'm really looking forward to some of your projects coming up like the trem and delay!  I'd love to see something similar to a multihead delay with a darker repeat.  Thanks again for your hard work madbean!

B of H, that's a killer setup you've got going!!!
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer