News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Egodriver - fulltone OCD

Started by eniacmike, September 27, 2010, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eniacmike

I have had an OCD for a while now and It is one of my favorite overdrives, well at least its the one I always go back to for comparisons. I decided to just have fun with this build. There are no subs. I made one mistake and put one of the mosfets in backwards and when I tried to rework it but I couldn't get the holes cleared. one of the problems with through hole plated pcbs. I ended up just tying the mosfet in on the component side and it is holding and working fine like that.

Off the bat I can tell my build is quieter noise wise compared to the fulltone build. I can't really do a cranked demo right now but hopefully tomorrow I can do one.

The hardest part was spending time trying to find the right fonts for the graphics. I didn't realize it either until I was done painting that the fulltone pedal is an off white. If anybody wanted to know the fonts are comic sans, brush script standard, and gonzo.

I also moved my power switch to the input side because that is my favorite side to put it on.

It was a pretty tight fit getting the board in there. If I had to do it again I would try to get some of those mini electrolytics to keep the board height down. or I would use a cliff 125b enclosure.

oldhousescott

maysink

HALFTONE! I love it! I don't know why but I found that so funny but I'd of shot milk out my nose after reading that! Provided I was drinking milk...

As it is I got a healthy gut laugh out of it. So good work on that!
[nothing to see here]
-e

eniacmike

I laughed for like 30 seconds straight when I saw the pedal drying after clear coat.

hnkyrocks

decal what you use?...its so very cool.........
HNKYROCKS from Indonesia

eniacmike

lazertran waterslide decal for laser printers.

I think the key for the decals was letting it sit on the pedal for 24 hours before clearcoating.

I have made a bunch of pedals when I rushed it and clearcoated right after applying the decals and the few times I was patient enough to let the decals sit for 24 hours they seem to bond better to the surface.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

Great Job man... I love clones that rip the original, especially fulltone.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

It's funny: the only pedal I've built that tried to emulate the original look is the OCD. I kinda dig the simplicity of it. It's no work of art, but it has some style and is highly functional. Kinda like the pedal.

Anyway...I love this "Ego". :)

eniacmike

I did a back to back test today and they sound identical. Usually knob placement might be a little different but they are identical. I was a little disappointed because I thought my build would be less noise than the Fulltone build because I used all metal film resistors but it didn't seem to make any difference both pedals had the same amount of noise. I am going to try swapping the op amp for something a little more hi-fi and see if that helps.

madbean

The TL082 is a TL072 with a higher noise spec. So, changing the IC might have some impact.

gtr2

Thanks for the comparison between the original and Ego.  For the record I like your "ego a little more"   :D
Anyways...where did you pick up the sweet led setup?
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

eniacmike

They sell those led bezels at my local electronics shop. they also have the flush mount bezels that catalinbread uses but I think they only come in green.

gtr2

Figures... :(  I'm still looking for a local electronics shop in the eastern PA area, still no luck.  Radio shack is a joke, but occasionally they have something I can use.   ::)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

eniacmike

radio shack sells the chrome bezels those are really nice.

I like to buy knobs at radio shack they have these HUGE mxr style knobs and the fulltone supatrem style knobs. They also sell a grabbag thing of npn transistors that is pretty cool for stocking your bench with.