News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cave Dweller is a little husky - quick fix

Started by madbean, April 30, 2012, 07:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

gt2 has pointed out the the Cave Dweller PCB is just a bit wide for a straight plop down into the 1590A. I made a last minute change on the borders which appeared to be within spec (less than 1.4" wide) but as it turns out is just about 1/2 mm wider than it should be making it difficult to lay flat on top to the jacks.

Here's what to do. Place a piece of sandpaper flat on a table. Hold it down with one hand and then swipe the left side of the PCB back and forth about 10-15 strokes. Then repeat with the right side. It only takes about 10 seconds to do and it removes just enough to get the PCB straight down. Do not over-sand! 10 -15 strokes on each side is all that is needed! REMEMBER: PCBs are made up of a fiberglass backing. The dust is not something you want to breathe directly or keep in your work area. Make sure you use proper precaution when sanding (well ventilated area or using a mask), and dispose of the PCB shavings immediately.

If you don't have sandpaper, use an Xacto knife and trim the sides instead...the material can be trimmed fairly easy. This also creates a little mess to clean up, but it does not produce dust.

Starting today, I will be doing this procedure myself on the Cave Dweller PCBs before shipping them out to save customers the trouble.

The green highlighted area in the image below is about the amount that should be removed.