News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Good 4049ube based circuits.

Started by 9Lives, May 10, 2012, 05:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I posted. Been building lots of "off the map stuff" using vero layouts and what not. I find the whole vero and perf thing very interesting and challenging. Really helps me dive into a project and understand it alor more that working on pcbs that usually turn out with no probs. The debugging thing is a big pain in the ass but is teaching me alot. On to the point of this post. I've been searching for projects using the cd4049ube and came up with a fair amount of info all though most of it is from 2001-2009 runoffgroove stuff. I attempted to breadboard the double d and that didn't come out so well. It's very cluttered with the pins so close. I also found the 3 legged dog that sounds a little more my style according to the sound clips. But I also saw several post about this circuit not sounding like it did in the ROG sound clips. I'm looking for some metal tones. I have not found anything that beats the Dr. Boogie and that's kind of my mission. Just wanting some new sounds. Have I found mostly every thing availale or is there somthing I'm looking over? Any fans of the 3 legged hound dawg? Thanks  for the advice in advance. Yall are very dependable.

night-B

I'm building a Christine fuzz from musicpcb.com using cd4049ube.
If you are after metal tone I recommend the okko dominator, the toneczar openhaus or the wampler triple wreck who is my favorite of the 3. These need big boards, lots of parts and if they don't work on first shot they will give a headache while debugging. But these are really HIGH gain monsters. Check on YouTube  ;)

9Lives

I actually have a half built etched openhaus. Haven't gotten around to ordering the ge transistors. Do you know if they are pnp? Or if not can I jerry rig it so I can use pnp?

JakeFuzz

The mysterioso uses a 4049. Very unique sounding overdrive. With higher boost settings it gets into fuzz territory, great for sustaining leads and lower gain overdrive sounds. I am about to box mine up.

Ang3lus

Quote from: 9Lives on May 10, 2012, 09:01:55 AM
I actually have a half built etched openhaus. Haven't gotten around to ordering the ge transistors. Do you know if they are pnp? Or if not can I jerry rig it so I can use pnp?

they are npn, 2n1306, I built that beast, really hard to find, gotta order at least a few to check for proper HFe.

opnehaus has a more fuzzy sound (uses a fuzz face circuit inside, the ICs are op amp wrappers) and the triple wreck i guess would be more modern sounding.

9Lives

I'm so close on that build I might as well finish it. Is there any other trannys that are more available to sub in? Will opa2134 work instead of 2604?

Ang3lus

maybe you can check what other Germaniums fit the bill (i guess any npn that fits a fuzz-face ?)

but the lnds you can't replace.

the ics i think you can, cause they both accept up to 18v, and i think the 2134a is just a better version of that 2604

stecykmi

I highly suggest tweaking your runoffgroove Double D to perfection. I built one for myself and it really like the chunky channel, it's a nice rich buzz-saw crunch. I don't use overdrives much so the low-gain channel gets less use, but it's still a pretty nice mid-gain overdrive, good as a boost.

also, i haven't tried it, but the 22/7 by ROG looks promising.

LaceSensor

i just got a Way Huge Fat Sandwich and that has one in, sounds killer.

9Lives

do you get any heavy tones out of your double D?

jubal81

Quote from: LaceSensor on May 11, 2012, 07:52:11 AM
i just got a Way Huge Fat Sandwich and that has one in, sounds killer.

That pedal has always intrigued me. Never played one, but the demos sound neat. Be great if someone traced it ... wink wink
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

stecykmi

Quote from: 9Lives on May 11, 2012, 07:14:07 PM
do you get any heavy tones out of your double D?

I would say so, the circuit doesn't cut bass very much (if at all), is very saturated and has no mid scoop like a muff does. It's very rich sounding.

DutchMF

Nobody has mentioned the Snarkdoodle/Tubesound Fuzz/Red Llama yet? It sounds great, but is a bit LOUD!! (sorry for repeating myself :D) BTW: when I look at the data sheet for the 4049, it seems you could build at least two Snarkdoodles with one IC, so maybe a two-channel version is something to try out?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

culturejam

Quote from: DutchMF on May 12, 2012, 10:33:42 AM
when I look at the data sheet for the 4049, it seems you could build at least two Snarkdoodles with one IC, so maybe a two-channel version is something to try out?

That's essential the idea behind the Double D. It uses one channel with 2 inverters, and the other channel uses 3 inverters.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

the3secondrule

my 2c would go for the ehx Hottubes.

Similar to the red llama/tube sound fuzz, only more fuzzy / abrasive / chainsaw-like  ;D

probably not very metal, but lots of fun. some really nasty tones at full gain, and a decent overdrive / boost at lower gain...

http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/circuits/hot-tubes-clone/

"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"