News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Good 4049ube based circuits.

Started by 9Lives, May 10, 2012, 05:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

well, thanks for all the feed back. Maybe if I ask a question in a different direction I can get some feed back instead of starying a new thread. My mission is to build a new super hi gain build that beats the Dr. Boogie. And I gotta say. Brians version of EVERYthing seems better than any other type of projects I've buld. And I'm averaging 4 pedals a week. Brian if your reading this "props" to you! Your stuff is great man, I really enjoy building your designs and they come out the most versitile and best sounding w very few mods that I find useless. I've been building vero's at sabrotone and some turn out good. I just attempted a okko dominator clone and I'm very disappointed. Not sure if my build was quite right. I B. Boarded some of these 4049 designs and I ant get what I'm looking for out of it.  I've got a ton of O.D.s I've build but I seem to have a hard time tracking down quality "chugga chugga" type stuff. Killswitch engage type of sound. Brians chunk chunk is spot on but I can't play a pedal for too long w/o changing. I've done rats, ocds, transistor, jfet and opamp circuits. I just can't find anything else. What's somthing I can try. Just to explain my level of building I just completed successful philosopher's tone vero. Thanks

DutchMF

Quote from: 9Lives on May 14, 2012, 03:25:52 PM
I've got a ton of O.D.s I've build but I seem to have a hard time tracking down quality "chugga chugga" type stuff. Killswitch engage type of sound.

If you're looking for a KSE-type sound, you might want to try using an overdrive in front of your main distortion pedal, with the volume maxed and the gain low. That is how they get their mega crunch, but with a high-gain amp instead of the distortion pedal.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

alanp

I don't listen to much KSE, but a mate who is GOOD at the chugga chugga thing found that running the La Vache into the Boogey worked bloody well.

I heard that one of the 4049 circuits sound quite Monster Magnet fuzz ish, might have to make one up  8)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

angrykoko

I just finished my first 4049.. a Red Lama.  If La Vache acts anything like a RL then I can attest that placing a brighter pedal in front gives some great additional dynamics to play with.  not the chugga your looking for with a RL but things to try with the builds you have. 

Do you have an eq in your pedal chain?  I'm usually able to dial in the sound I want sometimes even with pedals/amps that don't normally have the sound like what I'm going after.

I too am in search of more designs around the 4049 so I've been watching this thread quite a bit.
Good topic.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

9Lives

in the extra projects thread there is a stone grey distortion I think uses the 406? Can't remember the exact name. Might be cool. I actually have a snarkdoodle I didn't finish. I think I built it to the hybrid specs.  I currently do use my maxon od808 clone into my boogie. What does the llama sound like? Is it actually a fuzz? I really wanna make my own circuit.. I just don't know where to start w/o copying.. That would do no good.