News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Grapevine cap subs

Started by maysink, October 01, 2010, 07:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maysink

I read somewhere on this board a 100pf should be changed to a 151pf. But which one should I change, C3 or C9? I'm guessing C9. ANyone care to confirm? TIA!
[nothing to see here]
-e

maysink

[nothing to see here]
-e

madbean

I believe that is referring to C9. Going up to 151pF will let a bit more high end through when the gain pot is turned down.

maysink

[nothing to see here]
-e

madbean

Or, is it the other way around....it's a high pass filter so it is probably more accurate to say a higher value there attenuates fewer low frequencies, so that there is a broader range of frequencies passing through at minimum gain.

CRBMoA

I would think at the 100-151 pf range, the differences should be nominal. But I'm just a bass player, so what do I know. :P

madbean

It's actually a difference of about 500Hz, so it's not insignificant. Actually, I'm struggling with this very thing on the "Rump Roast" project I'm about to release. It has a similar control with a 250pF bypass cap, which actually makes the thing incredibly bright in certain settings. By raising the value you can darken it down a bit, but then you have to balance that with it at full rotation (it's a tone control) where too high a value ends up removing a little bit of the 'wump' in the lower mids.

CRBMoA

You are just trying to get me to buy the circuit so I can try for myself................... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Actually, that does make sense. The change would not voice the pedal for bass, but it would affect the bottom end of the guitar, especially on the neck P/U.

I am here to learn.