News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

"Amp in Box" Pedals!

Started by claytushaywood, May 22, 2012, 12:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I've really been digging some of the amp in box pedals... they work so well with my fender and weber california (a very clean speaker) I was amazed at how the hiwatt one (the mufftintop here) increased the dynamic response of signal so drastically... i never really thought a pedal could do that.  my setup is already pretty damn dyanmic- but with this pedal on you can go from whisper quiet to pummeling distortion with JUST your pick attack.  very jimmy page esque.  I cant even imagine how bad a real hiwatt cranked with fane's would make my playing sound- this pedal does a good job of really making me work my pick.  its fun

Anyways, I've been thinking of what amps I'd really love to cop the gain sounds off of... and I decided it would be bad ass to have a sunn amp in a box.  Anyone know of a schematic or layout for any of the sunn amps?  That'd be rad!

gtr2

There's a bunch of amps in a box on runoffgroove.com

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

I just finished a new PCB layout of the Vox NightTrain pedal project I've been wanting to do. That may show up as a project here eventually.

For Sunn, check schematic heaven. There might be some there.

And, yeah, Runnoffgroove has tons. The Peppermill is a nice Fender-ish type one.

pryde

speaking of amp in a box, I just finished an etched build of the Catalinbread RAH. Talk about nailing the Hiwatt JP sound  :o

I would love to see a RAH-based project released here.

raulduke

Funny you mention that dude; I've just done a board layout for the RAH to send of to Dorkbot.

I'll upload the .sch and .brd files if you like?

pryde

Quote from: raulduke on May 22, 2012, 02:38:44 PM
Funny you mention that dude; I've just done a board layout for the RAH to send of to Dorkbot.

I'll upload the .sch and .brd files if you like?

Thanks for the offer. I had haberdasher etch me a board layout from FSB for the stock version. I think it would be cool to have a version with some possible mods. One complaint is that it does not have enough gain for single-coil pickups. I play mine with a LP and it really shines.

I would like to hear your thoughts on it when you get your pcbs

claytushaywood

yeh i know of runoffgroove's schematics, and all the vero sites... I've done the WIIO from tagboardfx- there's also a vero for the rah over there- along with some other sweet amp in box designs.  He's gonna be adding a lot more too, like the wampler blackface and the other wampler ones.  Shoot I'd like the blackface one just for getting good blackface tone at a low volume (and I have a blackface amp)

I think these things absolutely destroy a master volume and even a power soak for getting great crunch tones at low volumes... I wish more dirt boxes out there didnt include diodes.  I love my timmy and zen drive, but compared to the muffintop (wiio) and faultline (SFT- ampeg) they sound fizzy!  hah! 

I was wondering if you can run the muffintop at 18v?

also- off topic- but does anyone have a voltage doubling vero layout for use with the max1044... I use a 1 spot at this point and I've heard you gotta regulate the voltage with maybe a zener diode to make sure the max doesnt receive more than 10v (as the 1 spots are known for putting out 9.5v and up soemtimes and fryying max1044 chips)   Anyone  know how i would mod a icl7660 voltage doubling layout to work safer with a max1044?

gtr2

Those charge pumps are pin compatible.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

claytushaywood

Quote from: gtr2 on May 23, 2012, 04:08:00 AM
Those charge pumps are pin compatible.

Josh

can someone tell me how to limit the voltage to it, so I dont fry it with my one spot giving it too much?  I think it has something to do with a zener diode in series with it.  Would that work?

Thanks

gtr2

I'd just use a LT1054.  It can take up to 15V.  Just don't forget to snip pin 1 on the LT1054 when using the road rage.  Pins one and 8 are connected on the roadrage board.  You need to break that connection for the LT1054 to work properly.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

claytushaywood

well I have like 20 MAX 1044's that I would love to use... is this not gonna work?

bigmufffuzzwizz

The one I'd like to build is a Klipp circuit. It's already been done so I know its possible..and the price tag on them is even more motivation!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals