News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

IC Insertion

Started by alanp, May 23, 2012, 12:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Perhaps this is a silly question, but does anyone have any tips for inserting ICs into the cheaper kind of socket?

I don't know if it's because Tayda sell cheap sockets or what, but every IC I've had to put in, I've had to squeeze the legs closer together, because otherwise the IC just sits on top with the legs going either side, rather than in. And if I get the leg spacing wrong, the legs go squish.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

irmcdermott

IC leads aren't parallel, you need to straighten them to get them to fit in any socket. They actually make tools that will do this (google "ic lead straightener tool" to see). I just try and hold it between my thumb and pointer and apply even pressure to straighten them out.

nzCdog

Bend 'em. They don't go into any socket otherwise. I carefully bend each row of IC legs to point straight down using a pair of needle nose pliers.

irmcdermott

Here's a cheap one from Jameco if you actually wanted to buy a tool.

IC Straightener

Ian

DutchMF

I usually put in one row a very small bit so that the IC is at an angle, then push all the pins of the other side at the same time with my tweezers until they pop in. Then push down the entire IC

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

oldhousescott

I hold the chip on its side so one set of legs is flat on a table top. I then carefully press down until the legs are more at a right angle to the chip body. I then flip it over and do the same to the other side. This works especially well for the 14 and 16 pin chips.

pickdropper

Quote from: oldhousescott on May 24, 2012, 05:20:03 AM
I hold the chip on its side so one set of legs is flat on a table top. I then carefully press down until the legs are more at a right angle to the chip body. I then flip it over and do the same to the other side. This works especially well for the 14 and 16 pin chips.

This is what I do as well.  For me it is easier to control than other methods.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

TNblueshawk

Quote from: pickdropper on May 24, 2012, 05:33:26 AM
Quote from: oldhousescott on May 24, 2012, 05:20:03 AM

This is what I do as well.  For me it is easier to control than other methods.

+2 just be careful not to roll the IC over or your legs go squish!
John

jimijam

i grab em by the ends and gently press the legs against a hard flat surface to ben the legs on each side at the same time so the stay in line.
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

GermanCdn

Invest in the IC leg straightener, it makes life so much easier.  I buy the $0.02 Tayda sockets by the 100s, and the IC leg straightener gets them in every time.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: GermanCdn on November 08, 2012, 03:30:36 PM
Invest in the IC leg straightener, it makes life so much easier.  I buy the $0.02 Tayda sockets by the 100s, and the IC leg straightener gets them in every time.

Never seen one, have a link?
John

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

irmcdermott

TNblueshawk

Quote from: gtr2 on November 09, 2012, 04:04:23 AM
I use my teeth  ;D

Hardcore oldskool  :o

I have never seen one of those IC thingy's Ian, thanks. I usually don't have an issue but I have flattened a few and overall my legs are little crooked at times. I may invest in that tool. I want to keep my teeth  ;)
John

Haberdasher

whenever I try to flatten out the legs on my desk i always lose my grip and fubar the legs.  so i usually just squeeze both sides together a little with a finger and opposable thumb.  whatever works.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS