News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Op Amp Switching/stacking?

Started by BraindeadAudio, June 01, 2012, 07:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BraindeadAudio

Using stripboard, Ive been working on something that would allow Op Amp switching between 2 different op amps for a Rat pedal...anyone ever mess with this? I want to have the ability to switch between an OP07 and an LM308 in the same box. One of my friends asked about it so Im trying to figure out how to do it. any ideas?

oldhousescott

You could try something like this. Put everything inside the red rectangle on a perfboard. You will definitely want to keep the connections to the switch contacts as short as possible. R20 and R21 are an attempt to keep the opamps stable when not selected. They will reduce the max possible gain slightly, but it probably won't matter. There may be a considerable pop as well when switched. There probably wants to be a jfet muting circuit on the output of SW1B, but that would add greatly to the complexity. No way to stack the opamps in this version.

BraindeadAudio

Dude thats awsome! Thank you! Its for my friend Brad Boatright of the punk band From Ashes Rise, I want to make him a super hot rodded rat as a thanks for mastering my bands demo.

Rockhorst

@BraindeadAudio: did you ever succeed in doing this? I just had a discussion with a very audio electronics savvy guy, and he is very prssimistic about switchingop amps because adding wire gets you in trouble with capacitances...