News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mudbunny/ Big muff Noise

Started by SGJarrod, October 13, 2010, 07:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGJarrod

So about a week ago I finished my Mudbunny and I must say this thing rocks and is mean.. I do have one issue.. The pedal operates and sounds perfect but when I have the pedal on and my guitar volume rolled off there is a weird scratching noise coming from the amp(it happens on both my amps), the more gain the more noise... now I do understand that muffs do have white noise but this is above the normal high gain noise. It sounds like an old record player between songs, you know the sound of the needle scratching thru the speaker. I just reflowed every drop of solder in the pedal and no difference.

I ran thru the board with a audio tester and it seems like the noise appears after the first set of diodes and gets worse after the 2nd set of diodes, it goes thru Q3 and Q4 all the way to the volume pot and then out. I tried new trannies out of curiosity and that did not help. All the parts are high quality new parts from Small Bear.

Anyone got advice or help? An idea?  ???

madbean

What kind of transistors did you use? When you replaced them, were the same type of trannies or different ones?

Also, what kind of diodes did you use in the build?

SGJarrod

5089's both times, and I used the diodes that are recommended in the build...1n914, and 1n4001 for protection/polarity....

madbean

I'm thinking that your input cap is leaky or faulty. That might explain the noise. If it's failing, then DC could be creeping back to your guitar, and when you roll the volume down it causes the crackling.

The noise might be originating there, and then it's amplified through those subsequent gain stages.

SGJarrod

so, basically try a new cap in C1?   

madbean

SGJarrod

just got home from work and switched out C1 for a new cap and no difference, still have the same noise  ???

madbean

Darn. Well, I think some voltage readings are needed. Maybe Q2 is misbiased somehow.

SGJarrod

here is some more food for thought.... I just got done trying different trannies; 2n3904 and 2n5088 do not have the noise..... maybe the extra gain of the 2n5089's.....I actually really enjoyed the trying all the trannies....its the first time I have ever done that...... I love the 5089's the most, alot more aggressive and punchy...

any how... I do not have an operating multi meter right now so readings may have to wait....Does the info from above help or bring anything else to mind?

SGJarrod

also I have already ran thru all the parts before I reflowed the solder and they are all correct

madbean

Well, I don't have much advice at this point. If 5089's are causing the issue then for whatever reason they are not working for this build. Having built the Gruntbox a few times, I haven't had a problem. I can send you some 5809s to try out...maybe a different stock will produce different results. Personally, my favorites are BC549. I just love them in a Muff!

Tell you what: PM me your address and I can send you some of both. I have plenty. Let's see if that helps solve the issue.

SGJarrod

Issue resolved... I got the BC549's and the 2n5089's that Bean sent me in the mail, neither of those had the noise....so, I guess the 5089's I had were from a bad stock  ???

I stuck with the BC549's, they were the quietest and had most clarity and punch......The MAYO is a GAIN MONSTER!!

Thanks MadBean... YOU ROCK!

madbean

Excellent. Yep, BC549 are the best Muff transistors I've come across :)

Haberdasher

Brian- you use bc549B's?  The "B's" have kinda low gain; I tried them in mine and didn't like them as much as the 5089s.  About what hFe range do the ones you use have?  Or do you have the mouser link to them?

EDIT: These are the ones I ordered.  Are the ones you use different?
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=BC549Bvirtualkey51210000virtualkey512-BC549B

thanks
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean