News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

B'Day Amp Build

Started by raulduke, July 16, 2012, 02:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: Bret608 on July 17, 2012, 06:47:42 AM
Wow, it is tempting to just jump in with this rather than modding my existing amp! That looks awesome. And it looks way less impossible than I used to imagine an amp build would look.

You know, I completely agree.  I have far more interested in building from scratch than modifying the amps I already have.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Vallhagen

I must type something in this thread, i have read it a few times.

Very inspiring. Awesome stuff, Raulduke. I really have to build one of those amps. I can come up with two reasons; i need a better practice amp, and also i need to get into the world of tube technology ...

Ampmaker seems like a good option to order from? I dont find shipping costs (to sweden) on the webpage, so i will Email him/them.

Then i have to make up my mind, what model i should go for. The 18W thing looks nice:)

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

raulduke

Hey dude thanks for the comments.

I wouldn't see any problem with Barry shipping to Sweden.

Personally I'd go for the champ clone he sells (WF-55) as a starting point.

This is still my go to amp; I use the SE-5A, but not as much as the WF-55.

I guess it depends on whether you are a Marshall or Fender amp guy?

But yeah, order with confidence, and make sure to post some pics here when you are done!

Vallhagen

Quote from: raulduke on August 21, 2012, 01:30:54 AM
This is still my go to amp; I use the SE-5A, but not as much as the WF-55.

I guess it depends on whether you are a Marshall or Fender amp guy?

Yea, i read your words about going to the WF-55:) ... I myself am definately Marshall though. Ill give it a few more thoughts... then its time to order. Shipping to sweden looks like about 30 GBP, fairly reasonable:).

Cheers mate!
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

gtr2

Raulduke,

Did you happen to look into using the VVR from hall amplification?

I'm looking into options for attenuating the circuit the best way without affecting tone.  Most of the time I have to operate my amps at less than ideal volumes...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

raulduke

Hey Josh,

No I didn't look into it mate. I think one of the build reports on the AmpMaker site mentions fitting the VVR kit though. You could always email Barry to give you the low down.

The amp is not reallythat loud though. I wouldn't say you could gig with it. I would see how you get on with it without any mods first, then if you need VVR/Power attenuation you can always fit it afterwards

I looked into power attenuators (DIY and bought) and there seems to be a massive range available out there.

Do you have a head cab sorted for yours yet?

I look forward to seeing photos of the build!

gtr2

Yes, that's where I saw it.  I'm looking to use the amp at the edge of breakup, so I guess I'll see how loud it is.  I play in a setting where even a 5 watt champ cranked at 5 is too loud.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

midwayfair

Quote from: gtr2 on September 28, 2012, 05:55:07 AM
Did you happen to look into using the VVR from hall amplification?

I'm looking into options for attenuating the circuit the best way without affecting tone.  Most of the time I have to operate my amps at less than ideal volumes...

hey, Josh, I have one in my Hot Rod Deluxe. It starves the plate voltage, which carries its own set of weirdness (your amp won't sound "the same but quieter" when the device is in effect), and there are times when running the amp below "5" on the Hall device results in not enough wattage to get sound, but it DOES do what it claims to, and it's pretty safe for the amp. (A friend of mine had some issues with his amp and took it back out, but we now think that was the amp itself.) I can recommend it, but keep your expectations in line with what you're spending and what the device is, i.e., not a true attenuator or speaker motor.

gtr2

I'm thinking getting something like a hot plate might be better.  Then I can also use it with my low power amps.

I refuse to go the amp modeling route.  I've done it, and I just don't personally like it.  I'm not much of a tweaker though.  I like to dial up the amp and play.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

gtr2

Quote from: raulduke on September 28, 2012, 06:21:45 AM
Do you have a head cab sorted for yours yet?

I've got a pine cab that I got for cheap that someone was going to rehouse a blues jr. into.   I'm pretty sure I can make the chassis work in in.  Someone on the SE-5a galleries did the same thing.

http://www.ampmaker.com/infocentre/thread-17-page-2.html

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

raulduke

Nice!

The standard  Se5a chrome front panel + black knobs should match the blues junior cloth/vinyl nicely.

gtr2

It's actually a prestained cab that was made by someone.  Pine is soft, but I'm gonna go for a relic look anyways ;)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Willholmania

I built an SE5 a few years back and actually got round to putting it in a box recently. It's been sat in chassis form all that time while I, very slowly and sporadically, grafted a Fenderesque spring reverb circuit into it. Finally got that working last week. Now I want to add a switchable gain boost function. Raulduke – did you ever do this?

raulduke

Wow.. thread resurrection from the dead  ;)!

Also, welcome to the forum!

No I never fitted the extra cathode bypass cap for a boost; to be honest the amp hasn't been used much at all for the past year.

The mod would be quite simple though; a cap in parallel with C1 on the schematic below would do the trick I imagine as it will drive the second gain stage harder, resulting in higher gain.

You would have to experiment with the cap value (maybe start at 22uF and go from there) to get it to your taste.

I bought a push/pull potentiometer for the purpose, as this would mean no extra holes need to be drilled in the chassis.

Come to think of it I might put this on my 'get my a*rse in gear' list of things to do  :)

Willholmania

Thanks. I may well try that this weekend. I was also considering upping R6 to 1MΩ.