News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

MN3005, v3205, MN3008 - what to use in my DirtBag Build?

Started by GhostofJohnToad, August 09, 2012, 12:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostofJohnToad

I am really confused about what chips to put in my dirtbag build.  Let me frame it.

Currently I have a Digitech Timebender and an old Arion SAD-1.  So I have long delay and nice simple analog covered.  I wanted to build the Dirtbag for the challenge and because I've never owned a DMM so I wanted to see what it's all about.  I find myself most often hovering around the 400-600 ms range on my Timebender. 

I'm really torn about the MN3005, v3205, and MN3008 options.  I'd probably have no qualms about the v3205 but reading the posts about all the issues people have had with that chip it makes me a little more than nervous.  But then getting the MN series chips seems costly and I don't feel like wasting money by getting burned by fakes. What are the delay times like for the various chips?  Is it much different?

I dunno it's a tough decision. What's a boy to do?

jkokura

The MN3005 and V3205 chips will give you twice as much delay time as the MN3008 chips. The 8 series is about half the delay of the 5 series. There's one more chip you may want to consider, the MN3205. It's the chip the V3205 is a clone of actually.

The MN3005/8 chips are desirable because they can be run at 15V, over the 9V that the V3205/MN3205 chips can give you. The problem is that the most popular chip, the MN3005, has become rare, expensive, and there are a lot of counterfeits available. The MN3008 is fully available, but it won't give you the delay time you're looking for UNLESS you double them up, using 4 of the chips instead of 2.

I encourage you to make your decision before you start your build, and carefully plan out what you decide to use.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

irmcdermott

I know that in the upcoming dirtbag build I plan on doing, I'm going to use 2 MN3008 for each 1 MN3005. I'm either going to attempt to etch the two sided double delay board from smallbear, or give the double delay board Brian has included with the 2012 Aquaboy project he posted a while back.

I also went ahead and bought one of mammoth's "1590BB Tall" enclosures because the sucker is almost 2" tall and I'm confident I can get the main board, 2 double delay boards, and everything else in there. Pumped. My board should be waiting for me when I get home from this business trip.

GhostofJohnToad

So I looked more into the idea of the MN3008 and using 4 rather than 2 to get the delay times.  If these are readily available why are they so darn expensive?!  Smallbear has them for $15 a piece! And the usual other places I go to Mouser, Mammoth, etc.  Don't sell them. 

So what is different between an MN3205 and a v3205?

Scruffie

They're not readily available, they'll dry up like the 3005 just a few more were produced at the time (longer echo was less in demand) so there's a few around still. Btw on smallbear you can get a fake pair of 3005 (restamped 3008) for $15 instead of just one... Not that for one that isn't a good price, BBDs were more in the day when they were new, we get them very cheapily. The difference between the v and MN is that one is a new production clone that is in ready supply where as the MN is once again pricey and hard to source. Some claim the v's clip easier and are apparently louder, I never compared the two... However some say the BL3208 are better regards clipping to the v's (and also in production plus cheap) so using 4 of them could be an idea. If you want be build an analog delay be prepared to pay for the 'good' parts, DIY isn't always about being cheaper and for analog, the delay is probably one of the most complicated and expensive things to build/buy.
Works at Lectric-FX

GhostofJohnToad

So from strictly a build standpoint and NOT a sound quality standpoint is this correct?

MN3005 = MN3008
v3205 = MN3205

so where would the BL3208 fit in? = v3205?

Trying to get an idea according to the build documentation, as to which parts lie on which path.  i.e.: the MN3005 road or the v3205.

Also I should say I realize there is a cost to getting the good stuff.  Just want to minimize getting burnt and frustrated.

ToasterMe

This is slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd save making a new thread and just ask this here. Is there any reason why a new run of MN3005s can't be done? I'm guessing there's some demand for them in the market, especially based on the price they're selling for ATM, and if the rumour I heard about EHX trying to buy a batch of them not too long ago is true. Is it just the demand isn't enough to warrant a new run of production?

Scruffie

That's been answered in another thread on MN3005s that's active at the moment.               And MN3005, MN3205 & v3205 = 4096stage devices or up to about 300mS each, 3008 & 3208 = 2048 stage devices or 150mS the 300X series run up to 15V for more headroom or less clipping, the 320X max out around 10V and should clip a little easier but at guitar signal level it shouldn't be an issue. The arguements over what's best have been well covered, some like the new chips, others don't.
Works at Lectric-FX

alanp

I like how you don't have to muck about wondering if the v3205's are real or not :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GhostofJohnToad

So are there any audio/video demos of a dirtbag made with the v3205s?  I think I might be leaning that way.

GhostofJohnToad

So I got my dirtbag board and am going the route of  3205s.  Question now is, are the MN3205 on ebay to be trusted?  or are these prone to faking like the 3005s?  If so I guess I'll have my answer and I'll go with the v3205.  Someone have some experience with the MN3205s and buying from the ole ebay?