News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Faultline volume stopped working

Started by maysink, November 11, 2010, 10:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maysink

Got this beast verified on the breadboard so I boxed her up and enjoyed about 20 minutes of knob-tweakage. That was last week.

I fired it up today and the volume has a working range of 0% - ~2%. And that's with the gain dime'd. The bass & treble knobs impact the barely audible signal and this happens with a battery, 9 & 18v dc power. Also happens with the pedal in a chain or by itself. All electro caps are at rated 25 - 35v.

Any clues where I should start troubleshooting? I quickly used a DMM to verify the volume pot works (it does) and that there is continuity between the PCB Out & the stomp switch...
[nothing to see here]
-e

eniacmike

audio probe it and trace it backwards from lug 3 of the volume.

also sometimes after boxing things up they don't work so I would try taking it back out of the box just to know that it isn't a problem with the jacks or the enclosure. sometimes the lugs of the pots might be touching the box (ground).

usually when I have volume drop problems like that it is a backwards transistor, a backwards electrolytic cap, or something shorting to ground, possibly a cold solder joint somewhere too.

maysink

The pad for Vol2 was separating from the board. All fixed now. This mofo is LOUD!
[nothing to see here]
-e