News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB Transfer Help

Started by MullisMan, November 13, 2010, 08:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MullisMan

This is a question for Brian or if anybody knows, I'd appreciate some info.

The handmade PCB's I've received from Brian are different colors than the usual standard tan.  I've seen black and red, where can I get these different copper clad boards for my own PCB projects?

Also, for anybody who has tried using photo paper to transfer their images, has anybody had good luck with that? I've ironed the heck out of my boards but when I try to get the paper off, it DOES NOT WORK.  I get down to the bottom layer and it just won't budge, not with my thumbs anyway.  I can try to use a pin but it's really hard to get off even then, and it's scratching off the toner from the transfer as well.  I'm pretty sure I applied enough heat so I think it's just me being rough with the pin or my fingernails that's causing the toner to scratch off.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

irmcdermott

For the PCBs check out this thread, brian gives a link to the guy he buys from on ebay:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=185.0

What brand of photo paper are you using? You will see a lot of places say that Staples brand is the easiest, but they have changed their paper and the type that used to work really well for transfers does not anymore. I use just regular old magazine paper for my transfers and it works great. And it's free because my wife and I get so many friggin' catalogues in the mail it's ridiculous.

madbean

The newest brand of Staples paper is no good for transfers, unfortunately. Here's a list of reliable transfer media:

Press N' Peel Blue
Magazine paper
Transparency (not quite as reliable)
Sterling Ultra Digital paper (what I currently use)

The Sterling stuff is printer paper with a glossy surface and clay backing. It's pretty great once you get the technique nailed down. The secret is using less heat (I put my iron about 2/3 of the way up). After ironing for a few minutes, soak in water for about 5 minutes. It can usually be removed easily. Any paper that's left can be rolled off with your thumb under the tap. It's not perfect all the time, but still pretty reliable. Best of all, it breaks down to about $.03 per 8.5x11 sheet when bought as a 500 sheet pack. You have to get good fusion because touch-ups will remove the paper and toner if it's not adequately bonded.

Another benefit is that is you let the transfer air dry or use heat gun, the paper stays white. This makes drilling a snap when using darker colored PCB...the contrast level is perfect.

eniacmike

do you drill before you etch?

that sounds easier, but I never have the confidence to go through all that drilling until my traces come out fine.

I use magazine paper cut out of a magazine.

madbean

I drill after etching. Couple reasons: one, it's possible you could damage the transfer by a bum drill, and two, sometimes a transfer that looks good etches bad and becomes pointless to drill. My case is a little different because I have a certain quality that has to be met before I will pass a board. Lots of bum etches get thrown away at the madbeanpedals chemical factory of love. But, for personal use I'll use boards that are below that quality if I'm prototyping or just building something for myself (well, pretty much everything I build is for me already).

Haberdasher

madbean- do you find that both sides of the sterling ultra paper are the same?  I've never noticed a difference in the 2 sides myself, but sometimes I seem to have better luck on certain printed pages, so I'm curious what you think about that.

thanks
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

MullisMan

Nice. Ordered some CEM online for $10!

Ok, I know i'm hijacking my own thread here, but I ordered some drill bits from Ebay, and I'm a little unsure if I'll be able to use them in my drill press.  I have a Skil drill press, the cheap $120 one from Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_197820-46922-3320-01_0__?productId=1207335&Ntt=dill+press&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s%3FNtt%3Ddill%2Bpress

I'm not sure if the drill bits will be big enough to be able tighten the chuck on my press.  I've heard of using a dremel, but this seems very inconsistent.  Anybody have any suggestions?

Haberdasher

Not sure what drill bits you got, but the ones I use are carbide tip wire gauge.  They have a 1/8" shank and my cheap-o drill press chucks down on that, no problems.

I got my bits from harbor freight and I've found that's really all I needed to get started.  They have a mixed set for about 7 bucks in the rotary tool section.  The ones with the white collar work well for just about every hole.  I use a slightly bigger bit to drill the holes for 1n400x diodes. A little trial & error, and you're on your way.

There's a thread around here somewhere in which I asked Brian a bunch of drill bit questions.  I'll see if I can find it for you.

found it
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=295.0

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

MullisMan

Thanks man I'll check them out.  I don't know why but I have this terrible itch to start making PCB's...I know it's a detailed process but that's the fun right?

eniacmike

I have the same drill press (skil) as you and mine will hold tiny wire thin bits no problem. I got a special 2nd chuck for holding small drill bits but I don't use it. just visually watch the bit spin to make sure its straight before you start. and go slow it might seem easy but pcb's are actually really hard.

MullisMan

Awesome, that allays my fears a bit. Now I can't wait to get my bits.

MullisMan

Ok I think I'll go with magazine paper.  I did three PCB's and everything worked like a charm.  We'll see if drilling is this easy....

[attachment deleted by admin]

irmcdermott

Quote from: MullisMan on November 15, 2010, 02:24:03 PM
Ok I think I'll go with magazine paper.  I did three PCB's and everything worked like a charm.  We'll see if drilling is this easy....

Be patient with the drilling.... it takes practice. Don't get discouraged your first few times of trying it. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Haberdasher

Quote from: Haberdasher on November 14, 2010, 02:48:57 PM
madbean- do you find that both sides of the sterling ultra paper are the same?  I've never noticed a difference in the 2 sides myself, but sometimes I seem to have better luck on certain printed pages, so I'm curious what you think about that.

thanks
bump for 'bean.
do you think there is a difference between front or back?

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE: