News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Working with tubes and recommended readings

Started by 2tonewarrior, September 13, 2012, 04:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2tonewarrior

I started less than a year ago to make pedals. First some kits, then some brian´s boards, some veros,... I´ve made so far 10 or 11 pedals. I´m very proud because I started from 0 at electronics. I´ve learned a lot, mostly in this forum reading a lot of tech help topics, but there are some things that can´t learn if I don´t study properly in a class, like safety measures. I would like to start working with tubes and maybe build some power supply so I ask for help understanding the danger of working with "high" voltages and how to work properly with them.

Also, I would like some recommendations readings (books, webs) to consolidate my electronics basics and learn more! (even better if related with pedals-amps) English is ok, I understand it better than I write it.

Thanks!

EDIT: For now I only want to work with tubes in pedals (valvecaster,..), not amps

alanp

One basic check is to test continuity or resistance between B+ and ground, or ground and anything that isn't supposed to be connected to ground. And to test connections with Mr Multimeter. And check that everything is where it should be, and not where it shouldn't.

Because if you think it's annoying when nine volt guitar pedals don't bloody work, you ain't seen nuthin'. It's very do-able, I'm just saying be methodical and check everything as you go.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

TNblueshawk

Here is a wealth of info to get rolling. It is mostly geared towards amps but...

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=34216

The guy that posted that is one of the local amp gurus we rely on at BYOC.
John

alanp

MetroAmp do not sell kits anymore, but if you are building a Marshall-style amp the instructions are worth their weight in gold --

http://metroamp.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Amp_Kit_Instructions

Highly detailed, lots of pictures.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

2tonewarrior

Thanks for the tips, didn´t noticed the replays. I´ll check those links.

oldhousescott

The NEETS manuals are good for learning about many aspects of electricity and electronics.