News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

09.21 - Progress!

Started by madbean, September 21, 2012, 07:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lincolnic

This is really exciting. Any chance a BOM exists for the ZPD also?

insomniac2295

Sooooo what's the word on the Fishhead?

PhillyWill

So, if a guy was putting togather a Nautilus parts order, what size enclusure would he need?
Aquaboy, Cupcake, Poindexter, Slambox

jkokura

1590BB, or 125BB or bigger.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

1590BB will work perfectly. Plenty of space to work with....for both the fabbed and etchable versions.

Haberdasher

Just a heads up for anyone ordering 1n8 caps for this bom from tayda.  They may have their parts bin for this particular component mis-labeled.  The baggie the caps are in is labeled as 1n8 but the caps inside are actually 183's.  I've emailed them about it just now to see if they just sent me the wrong part or what.

cheers
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

bigmufffuzzwizz

so exciting..ive always wanted a mutron..you make my dreams come true Brian!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

raulduke

Madbean; A quick query. I'm just ordering my parts for the nautilus from the BOM (a bit early I know but hey ho) during lunch break.

Would a VTL5C4 do the job for the octocouplers or does it have to be the VTL5C3?

The reason I ask is because VTL5C3's are a total PITA to get hold of in the UK. The VTL5C4, on the otherhand, is available straight from Farnell (the Digikey/Mouser of UK electronic stores).

Isaiah

I believe (speaking from memory) the 5C4 has much slower rise and fall times than the 5C3.
I can't remember how the resistance ranges compare.
Maybe the 5C1 would be better (faster response and greater dynamix range (resistance), though I'm not sure of the application.
Is it for a Mutron III clone?

midwayfair

Quote from: raulduke on October 01, 2012, 12:03:30 PM
Madbean; A quick query. I'm just ordering my parts for the nautilus from the BOM (a bit early I know but hey ho) during lunch break.

Would a VTL5C4 do the job for the octocouplers or does it have to be the VTL5C3?

The reason I ask is because VTL5C3's are a total PITA to get hold of in the UK. The VTL5C4, on the otherhand, is available straight from Farnell (the Digikey/Mouser of UK electronic stores).

The C4's on/off resistance is vastly different from the C3's. There's a datasheet somewhere that has all of them listed in a chart for easy comparison, but I can never seem to find it when I need it, just the really big 30-page one.

juansolo

Quote from: raulduke on October 01, 2012, 12:03:30 PMThe reason I ask is because VTL5C3's are a total PITA to get hold of in the UK. The VTL5C4, on the otherhand, is available straight from Farnell (the Digikey/Mouser of UK electronic stores).

Last couple I managed to snag cost me a tenner on ebay. Only one up at the moment for £12 on it's own... It's a piss take. Really could do with figuring out if there's a Solonex alternative which are sensibly priced these days. If all else fails I suppose I could try a roll your own.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

midwayfair

Quote from: juansolo on October 01, 2012, 07:12:31 PM
Quote from: raulduke on October 01, 2012, 12:03:30 PMThe reason I ask is because VTL5C3's are a total PITA to get hold of in the UK. The VTL5C4, on the otherhand, is available straight from Farnell (the Digikey/Mouser of UK electronic stores).

Last couple I managed to snag cost me a tenner on ebay. Only one up at the moment for £12 on it's own... It's a piss take. Really could do with figuring out if there's a Solonex alternative which are sensibly priced these days. If all else fails I suppose I could try a roll your own.

The C3 subs from Smallbear (which are in Brian's build in the op) are $6 each. They sound really good in other things I've tested them in. Is Smallbear out of the question for you guys in the U.K.?

raulduke

Last time I ordered from Small Bear their shipping costs to the UK were excessive. Im not sure if they have lowered their costs since though (it was over a year ago since I last ordered from them).

juansolo

Quote from: midwayfair on October 01, 2012, 08:06:25 PM
Quote from: juansolo on October 01, 2012, 07:12:31 PM

The C3 subs from Smallbear (which are in Brian's build in the op) are $6 each. They sound really good in other things I've tested them in. Is Smallbear out of the question for you guys in the U.K.?

Very rarely use them as it works out expensive. Though ironically I did today for the first time in years (took me ages to remember my id/pass) to order some mini pots as no body sells them here. Typical really :(

Edit: Works out at £5 each for 4 (we're making 2, would have been cheaper had I ordered them with the pots *cries*). So not too bad I suppose compared to the stupid prices the VTLs are now. Actually they work out at £7 each so it's not bad over there. *If* you can get them here I've seen them for around £14 each... For a gooped photocell and LED.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

madbean

If you can find the right photocell then you don't have to use a vactrol. You need 10-50k light, 10M dark response.

The closest photocell listed at smallbear is either the 9200 or 9203. So, whatever you can get overseas along those lines.

It's critical to have the right photocell or vactrol for the Nautilus. Otherwise it just won't work.