News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Part brands and types

Started by Rocktifier, November 19, 2010, 05:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocktifier

So I'm relatively new building pedals.  Built my first modded screamer from GGG this last summer and it was a blast.  :o  I'm hooked. Now I'm working on a booster, BSIAB2, and Serendipity.  

Q1:I noticed that Xicon, Panaxonic, and WIMA (wima caps are so neat and tidy looking) are listed for caps under the parts section of the instructions.  Are these better brands/higher quality etc, or are they just listed because that's what small bear or suppliers commonly carry?  

Q2: One of the caps for my BSIAB2 is supposed to be 470pf silver mica (or polystyrene).  Is it ok to sub that type with a film etc., or am I going to hear a difference in tone?

thanks

(also I'm pretty sure digikey has the AD712 for the Serendipity)

madbean

Xicon, WIMA and Panasonics are widely available so that's really the only reason they are listed. They are all very good quality. Many people have suggested Topmay caps, which are available at smallbear.

You can always sub ceramic, film and mica for one another. I can't say whether or not you will hear a difference in tone....it really is entirely subjective. If you can, get one of each, use a socket and compare.

mjcyates

I am really starting to like the Kemet brand caps at Mouser. I think the MMK series is what I have been getting. They are marked well and they have longer leads.

jkokura

I can vouch for the Topmay box caps from Smallbear, even if Brian can't. I like em, and the price is right. But the Xicon, Panasonic and WIMA caps are just popular and the right size. If you can find another brand with the same specs I'd say either go for it or post it so we can all check it out. Things you want to look for:

1: Film caps, especially box ones, should have a 5mm lead spacing. There are lots of 7 or 11 mm spacing caps out there, and those will generally be too big. I've not found any with less than 50V ratings, and more common is 63 or 100V.

2. Electrolytic caps are generally 5mmx11mm with 2 or 3mm lead spacing. You should aim for AT LEAST 25V in rating. I have some 16V and those are fine only if you KNOW the circuit won't see 18v from a power supply. I used to use them lots, now I only use them rarely.

3. Silver Mica, Film and Ceramic caps, as Brian said, are subjective in their difference in tone. I have used all three, but have not compared them in sound. I have heard some guys say they are no different, and some guys say they are very different. However, the main difference between them is PRICE. Silver Mica can be expensive, and they can also be the largest and most cumbersome. I have ordered mica caps and then had to order other kinds just because they were too big to use. Ceramic are the cheapest and easiest to come across - search ebay and find a pack of 500 in the values between 1pF and 99pF and you will be set for life (likely) for a few bucks. When it comes to the values between 100pF and 910pF I HIGHLY recommend the Panasonic Film caps (available at Smallbear). They are a compromise in price, easily fit in all of the Madbean boards, and will allow you to skip the cap type tone wars.

4. For your BSIAB2 question, it is perfectly fine to use a film or ceramic cap - see answer above for what I recommend.

5. If you order an AD712, please order a second for me. I will pay for the part and the buck and a half for you to mail it to me.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Rocktifier

Cool, thanks guys.  I'll let you know on that AD712