News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

D.I. Box?

Started by PaxWorks, November 22, 2010, 04:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaxWorks

I need to build a Direct Box for my church. All too often the acoustic guitarist show without one and we keep having to borrow one from somebody. I know I can get one pretty cheap but I was hoping to learn how to put one together. Does anyone know how? Also does anyone know if anybody has DIY kit for a direct box? It would be nice to build it myself and handle the cosmetics myself as well.

oldhousescott

No DIY kit, but here's a schematic from Jensen transformers showing how to wire one up:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as066.pdf

CRBMoA

In all honesty, a worthwhile project, but I was able to score some really decent CARVIN D.I. boxes when my church needed them.

The issues with sourcing the transformers were too much for me two years ago, and I fell into the D.I.s. But, if you decide to build them yourself, PM me. I can tell you what NOT to do! LOL

jkokura

For the price of building one you can buy one.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend Radial DIs. I use a JDI weekly and love it. They have a less expensive version that's green and about 100 bucks and built like a tank. Worth the money 100 fold.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

+1 on the JDI, if you look around you can find some good deals.  The church I play at has gone through about 3 "cheaper" DI's in the last 6 months which would have paid for the right DI in the first place.  Radial makes some nice stuff IMO.  I used to go direct to board with a tech 21 blonde into a DI, I'm now able to use an small tube amp and mic it.  It's amazing how much better It sounds in the mix, plus it's easier to dial in pedals with the amp  ;)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

loves_guitar

Yeah, I looked into building a DI box, but they're like guitar tuners - just as cheap to buy them as to build them yourself (if not cheaper to buy them!).