News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Shetland Klony - Jimmybjj's Apis #2, new boards are verifed

Started by midwayfair, October 07, 2012, 07:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Not much to add this time. I built it completely stock, right down to using 1N34As, to make certain that the layout was verified. This layout was easier to deal with than the prototype (and having worked out the kinks associated with boxing something this size, that process went as quickly as any other 1590A build). I'm happy I had a chance to verify it.

Here's the build report for the prototype board: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6406.0), which also includes some tips for getting a board this size in the box. I expect a thread will go up very soon in the group buy area, so keep your eyes peeled.

jimmybjj

Sweet build. My wife said that you are far and away her favorite builder, loves the artwork. Thanks for verifying the board for me!
Pcbs no longer available

pickdropper

That looks great, Jon.  I dig your painting as well.

Jim, that's a nice layout.  You managed to fit a lot in without it looking crowded.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

murdog47

Ha....Shetland Klony...not sure which made me chuckle more this or My Little Klony  ;D

jimmybjj

Quote from: pickdropper on October 07, 2012, 10:33:28 AM
That looks great, Jon.  I dig your painting as well.

Jim, that's a nice layout.  You managed to fit a lot in without it looking crowded.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy about it.

Pcbs no longer available

baj2k

This is amazing. I do have one question, and I not trying to be negative, but what was the purpose of making it so small? The reason I ask is with side mounted jacks when it's all plugged in doesn't it take up virtually the same amount of lateral pedalboard space as a 125B with top mounted jacks?

Actually, it would be very cool if two boards would fit in a single 125B so you could have one set to Boost and one to OD or to use one to "goose" the other for a bit more ompf. I think I'll try that.

In and of itself it's an amazing example of layout design that's way beyond my skills. I'm just trying to rationalize the increase in build difficulty vs payoff (if any) once it's done.

And yes I will be ordering a few boards... more of a test to see if my soldering skills make the grade...  :o  ;D
"And then one day you find... 10 years have gone behind you... no-one told you when to run... you missed the starting gun..." R. Waters

jkokura

I agree with that - there's little actual room saved using 1590a enclosures, but from a builders point of view, it certainly is challenging. But that's why I never use them, practically, their size and format offer me no benefits as a live musician.

That said, I am thoroughly impressed by all these guys who are using them.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

nzCdog

GrindCustoms

Really nice! yeah..........can't say anything else than.........really nice! 8)

I agree that 1590A take as much place than a 125B with top mounted jack but.............

If you use compact plugs like the Lava Cable, it turns out to be slimmer than a 1590B enclosure alone and you also save one row of pedals... I mean, if you have 3 row of 125B on your pedal board, you're able to put 4 row of 1590A...........but that is..........if you need 32 pedal on your board.... ::)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

GrindCustoms

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jubal81

I don't like those little buggers, either. I like room, big knobs and margin for error - I need big margin for error.
However, I could see just going to 3.5mm jacks since it's all for DIY anyway. That would go a long way to freeing up some space.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

midwayfair

Thanks, guys. :)

I won't really jump into the 1590A pedal board space debate, because everyone's pedalboard needs are different. The only 1590A I'm even using on my main board at the moment is an Orange Squeezer. :) (or is it:  :-[ or possibly  :'( ?)

I do it mainly for the challenge and because I think the mini boxes fit the "cute" I strive for in the art. The other reason I do it is because of the oulipo ... restrictions breed creativity out of necessity. Looking for ways to fit a circuit into a 1590A led me to use DIYLC, which forced me to actually learn the circuit, and while I'm making the layout, I also get to basically solve a puzzle (I liked doing puzzles when I was young). If a circuit has too many controls, I'm forced to find a way to move them inside or evaulate their usefulness and eliminate extraneous controls (like turning the screwdriver back into a 3-knob job). I can't add mods and external controls ad infinitum and get lost in setting the controls when it's finally boxed up -- so I better make sure it does what I want it to well with only a couple controls.

Also, I guess building in them is just my "thing," like being the tea guy at work. :)

Stomptown

Quote from: midwayfair on October 07, 2012, 05:57:50 PM
Thanks, guys. :)

I won't really jump into the 1590A pedal board space debate, because everyone's pedalboard needs are different. The only 1590A I'm even using on my main board at the moment is an Orange Squeezer. :) (or is it:  :-[ or possibly  :'( ?)

I do it mainly for the challenge and because I think the mini boxes fit the "cute" I strive for in the art. The other reason I do it is because of the oulipo ... restrictions breed creativity out of necessity. Looking for ways to fit a circuit into a 1590A led me to use DIYLC, which forced me to actually learn the circuit, and while I'm making the layout, I also get to basically solve a puzzle (I liked doing puzzles when I was young). If a circuit has too many controls, I'm forced to find a way to move them inside or evaulate their usefulness and eliminate extraneous controls (like turning the screwdriver back into a 3-knob job). I can't add mods and external controls ad infinitum and get lost in setting the controls when it's finally boxed up -- so I better make sure it does what I want it to well with only a couple controls.

Also, I guess building in them is just my "thing," like being the tea guy at work. :)

I think 1590 projects are great fun. They force you to think ahead and be as neat and organized as possible. After building a few 1590's I noticed a huge improvement in my builds. My last couple pedals have been 1590B size but they are the cleanest I've done by far. I recommend 1590A builds to anyone looking to improve their skills...

pickdropper

For most situations, I agree with Jacob.  For many, if not most, pedalboards, a 125B with top-mounted jacks fits perfectly as far as space goes and a 1590A takes up nearly the same horizontal footprint (not vertical). 

To me, the cool thing about 1590As is when a custom pedalboard is made entirely of 1590A as the overall footprint does get smaller then as the difference in vertical space comes into play.

In the end, 1590As are a fun challenge to me.  Fitting them on the board is a problem to be solved later.  :-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Bret608

This is awesome! I do think the Shetland Klony idea tickles my fancy even more than the My Little Klony--and that's even with having MLP songs stuck in my head due to my daughters' having an MLP karaoke machine.

I can't wait to try a 1590a, even if just for the challenge. I'll be doing a Coldcraft Micro-Buffer. Somehow a 1590a just seems right for a utility pedal like that. I have to say, somehow the Apis makes me want to do a Klone more than I've wanted to so far.