News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrel v1.5 Major Clock Noise

Started by Myramyd, November 23, 2010, 07:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myramyd

Hello,

So, I've read the previous posts and the new version's PDF regarding the clock noise for this build. I just had a couple of questions before I rip this this apart.

First off, I do have most of the leads pretty long, since I was having a difficult time arranging things into the case. Moving the leads around, trying to separate them, doesn't have any effect whatsoever on the noise. It gets much worse/more distinct as you turn down the Mix knob and slightly improves when you hit the Bass/Wet Switch. The only real way to make it go away entirely is to turn down the amp pretty low and the Mix knob all the way up. (Testing with a DRRI)

I tried installing a 100pF cap between lead 1 and 5 on IC4 (which I'm slightly confused about as Brian also mentions doing the same thing to IC3 in a previous forum post). That actually made it ever so slightly worse. I was happy that nothing got fried however.  ;)

I got all the parts from Small Bear.

SO with that said, I plan to start with using shielded wire on the in and out jacks. Perhaps I should make all the other leads shorter as well. Do you think that will fix this or is there anything else I should do while I have it torn apart? I don't know how much I can separate the leads, since it's all packed in there so tightly?

Thanks for any help. It sounds awesome with the amp turned down--hands down the best chorus I've ever heard, so I know it will be worth it!!!
J