News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cheaper short electrolytics (for baby boards and other tight fits)

Started by midwayfair, October 15, 2012, 02:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Panasonic has two "low profile" series: The KA and KS series. The KA series is 7mm high (about the same as a chip in a socket). But the KS series is only 5mm high, and 4-6mm wide. The lead spacing is also "normal," and they're 7c each, so 1/3 the price of most other mini electrolytics. There's a newer KA series that's more expensive, so use the following part numbers:

25v, 5mm:

ECE-A1EKS100 -- 10uF
ECE-A1EKS4R7 -- 4.7uF
ECE-A1HKS2R2 -- 2.2uF
ECE-A1HKS010 -- 1uF

There's a 22uF and 47uF cap in this series, but it's only 16v. Fine for anything without a charge pump.
ECE-A1CKS220
ECE-A1CKS470

Best choice for the 22uF and 47uF caps (25v, 7mm):
ECE-A1EKA470
ECE-A1EKA220

And we're stuck with 16v for short 100uF caps:
ECE-A1CKA101 -- 100uF

Given that I recently had some trouble with 11mm caps in a 1590B (?!? there were pot covers), I think I'll be getting a bunch of these for the future.

EDIT: Nichicon 22uF, 25V: USW1E220MDD

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

saxoftenest

Nice! I'll have to update my project lists in Mouser with some of these.

I've been leaning heavily on the Nichicon UMW and UHC lines for short electros. They have a 5mm tall (but 8mm wide, so it's actually labeled "tubby" in my parts bin) 25v 100uF: UMW1E101MDD

9Lives

Om_Audio

Nice. I have a few 1590a builds in my future- this will come in handy- thanks.
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

Stomptown

Quote from: midwayfair on October 15, 2012, 02:06:42 PM

Given that I recently had some trouble with 11mm caps in a 1590B (?!? there were pot covers), I think I'll be getting a bunch of these for the future.

Do you know if there are any 5 or 7mm 220uF's available on mouser? I'm having trouble searching for them and would prefer the smaller ones for the Nautilus I'm building.

Edit: never mind, I found some 9mm that will work fine  ;D

aballen

Jon,

Thanks for this list, I'm restocking.  Would you happen to have a similar list for film and mica caps?  or MLCCs?

midwayfair

Quote from: aballen on February 02, 2013, 01:27:49 PM
Jon,

Thanks for this list, I'm restocking.  Would you happen to have a similar list for film and mica caps?  or MLCCs?

I don't buy mica, so I don't have any suggestions. My understanding is that there aren't small mica caps.

I usually get MLCCs at Tayda because most of the time they're cheaper. Brian's got plenty of suggestions in the build docs. Tayda's box caps are good, too. They're 5%,