Main Menu

Sabertooth - problem with "charging" sound

Started by gladzilla, November 24, 2010, 02:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gladzilla

Firts things first.

Hello to All  ;D

Second thing yet not less important.

I've built a saberooth clone and I have a problem.

I hit the bass string (i use it with my bass - yeah!) and the sound lasts for lets say 3 seconds and after that volume rises and slowly falls down to the level of the sound just after hitting the strings (just as if an jest engine started for moment and after few seconds began to slow down again)

I'm not sure whether it is problem with input signal level or something with capacitors.

Thank you in advance.

stecykmi

Does the circuit do the same thing no matter what setting the knobs have (in particular the fuzz and bite knobs)? The bite knob can be somewhat finicky so try playing around with it, turn it fully clockwise when it will be noisy and oscillate, and slowly turning it CCW until it stops.

otherwise, it's likely a mistake in the soldering somewhere. check your biasing so you'll have reasonable values (probably something like 1V at the collector of Q1 and maybe 2v at the collector of Q2, as rough estimations).

lincolnic

I had a real Woolly Mammoth for a while (sold it once I realized I could build my own!), and I'm pretty sure it behaved like this at certain settings too. You might want to have someone else confirm, though, it's been a while since I've played with it. (Which reminds me, I need to box up my Sabertooth circuit...)

gladzilla

Thank you for your suggestions. I will check biasings.
----
Effect doesn't act like this in all settings. I can confirm that in "some positions" of BITE it sounds OK.
Still - it's like more than 65-75% of range/scope that is unusable and this kind of sabertoothts behaviour I cannot accept.
----