News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Happy Thankgiving - the year in review

Started by madbean, November 22, 2012, 03:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Since it is Thanksgiving here in the States, I thought I would take a moment to give thanks to all the members and customers here at the madbeanpedals effects factory of love. This has been a very successful year for me, despite some rough patches both professionally and personally in the first half of the year. So, thank you all for being here, for your contributions, your time and your energy. I'm so proud to be part of such an excellent community of folks and to call you my peers!

2012 Holiday PIF
As many of the long time MBP fanatics know, every year around the holiday I do a month long PIF. This year is no exception. Rather than giving away some left-over prototypes and a few free regular boards, this year I have decided to give away a free project. Starting sometime next month, all orders will receive a free "Egghead" PCB. The Egghead is a baby board version of the Clark Gainster. Super simple and super cheap to build. And, it is a really nice overdrive to boot!

I don't know yet the exact date these will be available. I placed the order a few days ago, and it will probably be 2-3 weeks before I get them. So, if you are planning on making an order in December, you might want to wait just a bit until the Egghead PCBs are in. Once they are here, I will starting adding them into shipments. It will be one per customer, while supplies last, but I'm getting 150 of them so there should be plenty to go around. The PIF will go on until they are all gone.

2012 Release Schedule
I'm running a bit behind for the November releases, so I think the dates will be modified some. I've got the last Zero Point Deluxe prototype in and I'm almost finished with it. So, I think the schedule will be this:

Next Batch: Zero Point Mini, Zero Point Deluxe, Aquaboy Deluxe, Leviathan (all delays), plus restocks.
Next batch after that: Harbinger One, Boneyard II, and maybe the Stage Fright or the Sharkfin. Not sure yet.

2013 Preview
The first month or so of 2013 will be dedicated to wrapping up some of the other outstanding projects, like the Harbinger Two (wah vibe), the Moodring, Phobos and hopefully the Loophole II.

After those are completed, I will move on to the next phase of projects which will be some of the EHX vintage stuff I'm working on like the Zipper, Polyphase, Frequency Analyzer plus some of the sub-mini tube designs. Of course, the order of things is likely to change as I get things prototyped and hopefully completed. So, just keep an eye out for announcements.

2013 will also be the year I finally launch a pedal company of sorts. This is something I've been planning for quite some time, and I'm still sussing out the development phase. Most likely, this will be a separate entity from MBP. I'd like to keep the DIY and commercial pedals stuff separate, although there might be some kind of DIY element to the new company. Anyway, I'm still figuring out exactly what the product line will be, but it will be completely different than the MBP stuff. Most likely just a handful or less of actual products: small run specialty stuff. And, unlike many boutique start-ups, I will actually be putting in a few thousand dollars to get it going!

I'm pretty stoked for this. I feel ready to expand my horizons a bit, and frankly my confidence is a lot higher now in my ability to pull off running two companies on my own. So, forward on to success (or disaster) in 2013 :)

Lastly, I'll be pretty busy in the latter part of January making a new record with my sort-of sometimes band Radiophonic. We got some studio time set aside to do a little EP follow up. So, somehow in the next two months I need to carve out time to get my recording rig ready. How do you pick out ten pedals when you have fifty or more?

That's it for now. Enjoy your holidays!

aziltz

GermanCdn

Greatest post ever.  Sounds awesome.
Very much looking forward to next year.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

Very cool.  Best of luck to you in both of your business ventures.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

DutchMF

Man, you've got a lot planned Brian! Good luck with the new company, and thanks for making this one a success and taking us along for the ride!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

crashguitar

Great post. I have been wondering lately why you hadn't started a pedal company. I have loved the direction of your designs vs. clones and I am sure that you will have some great pedals.

Thanks for all the DIY support and the pcbs. Full disclosure; my pedal board is almost completely Madbean at this point!

Looking forward to several of the new projects (hint hint: phobos, cygnus).

Happy Holidays.

Chad

juansolo

Good stuff I was waiting for the super little Gainster and about to put an order in, will hang fire on that!

I think if you're going to go to building pedals, you should release the Kingslayer or stripped down version of it as your OD. It's the dogs bollocks and deserves to be out there.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

midwayfair

Glad to hear your year has turned out better that it started. :)

Thanks for a ton of great projects this year.

jtn191

That's pretty cool to hear. When I saw your Multiplex build, I was like "man wish I could buy a pedal like that!"

Ettore_M

That's great, Brian! It was about time you got your "pro" stuff up and running.. ;)
You gave us a lot of great projects this year, and I'm sure you'll do well in your pedal business!  :)
Have a nice holiday!

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

fendman

I am a newcomer...but have enjoyed everything this site is about, thanks Brian and good luck in your ventures to come.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Always something to look forward to here. It's like christmas all year long. All those new projects sound enticing.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Haberdasher

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
I hope you guys haven't eaten as much as I have today.
Sugar and Carb overload here.  I'm about to pass out.
Brian, it sounds like you're doing great and you have lots of exciting things coming up!  It's good to be a beaner!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

nzCdog

Great news on the new venture Brian, I'm sure you'll have every success!  Happy thanksgiving to all who celebrate it too :)

hoodoo

Brian, all the best to you in all your ventures, success is a given, if the production pedals sound half as good as the projects. Thanks for a great site, All the best, Matt.