News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

transistor socket

Started by CK1, December 02, 2010, 07:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK1

How many of the veteran builders here use sockets for transistors?  Considering trying it now for my builds, but didn't think of it until after I had already ordered all the other parts. 

madbean

If you think you might want to swap out transistors for experimentation purposes, then it's a good idea. If you have steady soldering skills and can solder a transistor lead in 2-3 seconds, then don't bother :)

CRBMoA

I use SIL sockets out of habit, because I bought a lifetime supply at a local (less than 100 miles away) surplus store.

I still use them on my personal builds (never know when you'll need a 2N5088 in the middle of the night for a customer build), and I will use them on customer builds IF tranny choice may be subjective (muff variants, etc.); but I will hit at least one leg with solder before it leaves my garage. I got an email from a good customer. Said his tranny fell out and he was AFRAID to put it back wrong. Got it sorted, but that was not a good use of my time!
::)

eniacmike

thats a good idea to solder one leg I have had that problem happen to me too.

I usually use sockets because I can never be sure about pinouts. I wish I had a lifetime supply they are so expensive. I tried to order the ones that aron sells at diystompboxes but they are HUGE and don't fit anything. It is also fun to play around with different transistors in circuits.

the only time I don't use a socket is if it's a 2n7000 used for clipping and you are just using the internal diode.

Haberdasher

If a pedal just has one or two trannies I'll just solder it in.  Just have your iron at the optimal temp and the solder flowing quickly so you can work fast & you're good.  If you are new and having problems working quickly I would use a socket though.  Inevitably you end up troubleshooting just about every build, so it's nice to know the transistor isn't cooked.  Helps with process of elimination if it gets to that point.

If the pedal is say, a fuzz, and you want to jack around & experiment with different transistors then sockets are obviously key.

Here's something they never tell you about when you're new to this: if you order transistors in the reel packaging (you probably only get that option from a place like mouser or digikey) the legs come spaced out to the correct widths for soldering (or socketing) and you don't have to sit there and bend each one out (which is a real PITA).

I've never built a pedal for someone else, but if I ever do that is a good tip about soldering one leg down.  Thanks.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

I socket them sometimes. It depends on if they're the kind that either:

a) I'll want to change

b) I'm not sure of the pinout.

If I'm confident I won't want to change them and I know the pinout matches, no socketing. If I think I might need to turn the tranny around, or will want to try a different one, I socket.

Another time that I socket is for rare or expensive transistors. I'm not going to solder in an OC44 because they're hard to find, expensive, and if I burn it out using too much heat by accident, that's an 8 dollar plus shipping mistake.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Meowy

Sockets are good not only for rare, expensive or likely-to-be-swapped transistors. they are also good for more sensitive transistors like MOSFETs. If one gets fried it is much better to be able to just pop a new one in for $0.50 instead of doing a delicate repair job

CK1

Hey, great advice, all!  I plan on doing as much of my component swapping in breadboard mode as I can, so as to avoid the de-solder mess that a few of you mentioned.  I think I'll pick up some sockets on my next order, but I'll just try to work quick this time around. 

crashguitar

I have seen a few people recommend using socket strips. These are rows of sockets that can be broken off in increments. I know Culture Jam sells them on his Caps n' Such site for a few bucks:http://www.capsnsuch.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=50&product_id=151
I plan on picking some up with my next order, as this seems a pretty economical way to socket any part short of an IC.

Meowy

I like the inline sockets for space considerations, but I think the round sockets make better contact with the transistor legs and hold the transitor in a more stable position

Diamond

I really like those inline sockets to swap parts quickly and compare. When I made my final decision about which part sounds best I take out the sockets and solder the part in for durability.