Main Menu

Enclosure size templates for artwork

Started by Knut Koupee, December 10, 2012, 05:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Quote from: jimilee on December 11, 2012, 05:31:32 AM
Pedal Vectorpack is what I use.
http://www.ontheroadeffects.com/vectorpack/

Just like jimilee, I like the pedal vector pack myself.  I use Inkscape and import them right into the project.  Double click on the outlines you want (or use shift+ drag selection) and then I copy it into a new layer.  Makes it really easy to visualize how the pedal will look, including knobs and hardware.

I like to put things on different layers, so I can turn them on/off at will.  I usually do layers something like:

(in no particular order)
Enclosure Outline
Knobs/Hardware
Decal/Artwork
Drill points
PCB (if you want you can import that too)
Drillpoints

I get my drill points aligned up using the Allign/Distribute tool (SHIFT + CTRL + A).  After that, it is awesome to just select the point, select a knob from the pedal vector pack and have it aligned right where it should be.  The alignment tool is one of my favorite features about Inkscape.  Makes it super easy to make sure things are in a straight line.  Then you can turn off the "knobs" layer and just print out your decal/waterslide/etch etc....I leave the drill points there so I can also use it as a drilling template.  Whoo hoo!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

decsnspace

Quote from: rullywowr on October 29, 2013, 06:41:34 PM
Quote from: jimilee on December 11, 2012, 05:31:32 AM
Pedal Vectorpack is what I use.
http://www.ontheroadeffects.com/vectorpack/

Just like jimilee, I like the pedal vector pack myself.  I use Inkscape and import them right into the project.  Double click on the outlines you want (or use shift+ drag selection) and then I copy it into a new layer.  Makes it really easy to visualize how the pedal will look, including knobs and hardware.

I like to put things on different layers, so I can turn them on/off at will.  I usually do layers something like:

(in no particular order)
Enclosure Outline
Knobs/Hardware
Decal/Artwork
Drill points
PCB (if you want you can import that too)
Drillpoints

I get my drill points aligned up using the Allign/Distribute tool (SHIFT + CTRL + A).  After that, it is awesome to just select the point, select a knob from the pedal vector pack and have it aligned right where it should be.  The alignment tool is one of my favorite features about Inkscape.  Makes it super easy to make sure things are in a straight line.  Then you can turn off the "knobs" layer and just print out your decal/waterslide/etch etc....I leave the drill points there so I can also use it as a drilling template.  Whoo hoo!
Haven't tried these out as I'm not as versed using illustrator as I am with photoshop. I did download the pedal vector pack though and really like what I see in the templates with all the "actual size" knobs and hardware options available.
When I get some more time I'll have to delve into illustrator and see if I can come up with something usable for future projects.