News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pots for Dig Dug?

Started by PeterMorton, April 27, 2010, 10:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterMorton

Which pots do I need to order for the 8 that control the filters (?) on the Dig Dug pedal? Is it these:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=693

I would get these at the right values ( ALL 8 100KB) and then the others are standard size pots? Should they be 16mm or 24mm? One is 100KB, the other is 100KA.

Just trying to be sure!

maysink

The link you posted for the 8 pots is correct (order 8x 100K 'B' taper). These will solder directly to the smaller auxiliary board of the Dig Dug.

16mm vs. 24mm is largely irrelevant--it's just the diameter of the round area of the pot. 16mm will give you more breathing room in a smaller case but, functionally, they're the same thing. There are some who claim 24mm have longer lifetimes due to more robust innards but I don't know if that's myth or truth. At any rate, these larger pots will be wired to the PCB.
[nothing to see here]
-e

madbean

If you get the other two in 9mm instead of 16mm, you will save a bit of space on the inside. It could make it easier to mount the whole thing in the enclosure.

maysink

Hmm. Do you imagine there would be any structural issues by soldering 9mm pots directly to the main board and 'hanging' the board off those 2 enclosure-mounted pots? Would those 6 pins support the weight of the main PCB? They look so flimsy but this would save so much space I *might* be able to cram this into a smaller enclosure with top mounted input/power jacks.....
[nothing to see here]
-e

madbean

I'm not sure that the height of the board would fit in a 1590BB that way. However, it is possible to secure it some way in addition to the two 9mm pots if you want to try that. Maybe those little plastic cable ties mounted to the inner walls?

maysink

I got a 125b box from small bear all drilled and it's going to be a tight fit. Gonna wire it up tonight. I'm suspending the main board via 2 9mm pots and I think it'll be just fine. maybe lay down a patch of velcro or somesuch to act as a relief mat under the main board...

Wish me luck!
[nothing to see here]
-e

PeterMorton

I will probably make my own box for this one. Either wooden or Plexiglass. I'm assuming I'll need to shield and ground it if I use these materials. For shielding, I'll probably use copper foil/sheet. Any ideas for grounding? As far as I remember, the ground will go to the jack, so I don't need to ground to the box, right?

madbean

Yes, the box won't ground anything, but make sure you ground every element to a single point like the jack. Copper foil will probably help, too, as you mentioned.

maysink

Hey, Pete, check this site out for shielding wood enclosures. Pretty good stuff here.
[nothing to see here]
-e

madbean

From none other than John Lyons....wood enclosure guru!

maysink

The man does impressive work!
[nothing to see here]
-e

PeterMorton

Thanks, fellas! That looks cheaper and more effective than what I was thinking... copper sheet from a hobby shop=$$$