News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How do I know which specs are important and what should they be?

Started by Rocktifier, December 07, 2010, 10:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocktifier

So I'm looking for parts on digikey, newark, mouser etc, and I've noticed that those sites give you lots of options for one part.  For example bat41, you can chose the values for:

Forward Continuous Current, Max Surge Current,  Configuration, Forward Voltage Drop, Operating Temperature Range, Mounting Style, Package / Case, etc.

Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to pick the parts with correct values for each of these specs for resistors, caps, diodes, transistors, opamps, etc?

jkokura

Quote from: hammy9 on December 07, 2010, 10:29:14 AMForward Continuous Current, Max Surge Current,  Configuration, Forward Voltage Drop, Operating Temperature Range, Mounting Style, Package / Case, etc.

For the most part, those values speak for themselves. I'm not sure what you're struggling with, because they don't matter much for pedal building. They're pretty obvious to me, so I guess what maybe I should ask is whether there's some specific parts you need help with? If you post some questions and link some of those parts it will be easier to help you out. other wise, I could try and explain all those individual features you've listed one by one.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Rocktifier

so those values don't matter as long as its the right part? ex: so any old bat41 will do? what values do matter? like a cap should be at least 25v right?

jkokura

Yeah, in the world of parts it can be confusing I guess. The bat41 however is pretty simple. if you look at all those different catagories, you should be able to see how they differ. For example, on might have a temp tolerance of 0 degrees to 105, and another will have -5 to 100. They're essentially the same thing, and you'll never use them in those extremes, so buy whichever is cheaper!

But with caps as an example, one might have a voltage rating of 50v, and be 10 cents each, and another might have 25v and be 9 cents each. 25V is a big difference, but I know that I'll only need it to be at least 25v in a pedal. In an amp however, neither of them would be ok - they would have to be much higher (500-650v).

It might seem confusing, but it's really not. Just don't get anything SMD, and chances are it will work fine. If you need help trying to figure out the difference between two parts, post the link, and we'll help you figure out which one is the right part for you!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Rocktifier

so are there any values that are important for diodes, or transistors?  I'm lookin at 1n914 here at Mouser:

http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Diodes-Rectifiers/Diodes-General-Purpose-Power-Switching/_/N-2xpr2?Keyword=1n914&FS=True

so all of these should work?

also does it matter if they're classified as "general purpose/switching" or "rectifier"?

Thanks

Rocktifier

also, could someone post a link to the sockets I would need to socket my diodes and caps?